2019 college computer setup decision.

I am going to college in the fall and have to make a decision.

I need a laptop.

I have a gaming pc that I am considering taking with me to school, but i have to buy a laptop anyway, and if it can handle medium to low gaming I don't have to bring it.

I want a sturdy laptop, or at least with cases available that would be able to protect it. I need something that will last, as I will not be getting another.

1500 budget

Would like a nice screen. 

Games I play are not that graphically intensive, a lot of gamecube emulation, bit of fortnite, steam games.

Probably want 16 gigs of ram or whatever can help the responsiveness of an os.

If it helps at all I have this for unrelated reasons new. If it would work in any of them that would be nice, definitely not a necessity

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBV3XX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In any case what do people think about bringing a pc to school along with a laptop? Any conjecture is appreciated. 

Thank you for taking your time to look at this, I really appreciate it. 

Have a nice day!

xps 15 with the 1050ti.

a newer one is coming soon (it will have a 1650)

I personally think that a laptop is nice with a desktop for gaming. However, if you want, you can get an eGPU for your laptop, they can be a bit pricy if you don't make one yourself, and complicated. They also might involve taking apart your nice laptop. But if you already have a desktop, I would bring it along.

As far as the laptop goes, the Flex 14, is nice for a 2 in 1 laptop, and so is the Flex 15. (Im a fan of Lenovo). I like touch screens cause you can use a stylus for taking notes which is great. So the 2 in 1s are good for that. If you are looking for performance, the XPS 15 is great. Not sure if it fits your budget, but a Spectre x360 (2019) has amazing reviews and is personally my dream laptop. (I have a lot on friends that have them). Just dig around on tech forums and stuff to find whats right for you.

2 hours ago, KeyBoardMelee said:

1500 budget

Are you from UK? Budget is in pounds? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

14 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Are you from UK? Budget is in pounds? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I am from the states.

The same budget is around 1150 pounds.

Weight is not an issue.

Eat Least a couple hours, more is better doesn't need to be crazy

17 hours ago, philip1077 said:

I personally think that a laptop is nice with a desktop for gaming. However, if you want, you can get an eGPU for your laptop, they can be a bit pricy if you don't make one yourself, and complicated. They also might involve taking apart your nice laptop. But if you already have a desktop, I would bring it along.

As far as the laptop goes, the Flex 14, is nice for a 2 in 1 laptop, and so is the Flex 15. (Im a fan of Lenovo). I like touch screens cause you can use a stylus for taking notes which is great. So the 2 in 1s are good for that. If you are looking for performance, the XPS 15 is great. Not sure if it fits your budget, but a Spectre x360 (2019) has amazing reviews and is personally my dream laptop. (I have a lot on friends that have them). Just dig around on tech forums and stuff to find whats right for you.

I don't really want a touchscreen, but everything else about these builds looks good.

Thank you

Ok so you could get a 

Hp specter x360

msi ps63

maybe a Razer blade stealth

huawei matebook X pro or 14 or 13

dell xps 9570 renewed on Amazon has quite the specs for the price for the new ones also have good spec just lack storage but have slots for the SATA sad you have

lg gram 14

If you don’t want to go with the gaming laptop then get the asus zephyrus g ga502 has 512gb name sad, 16gb ddr4 ram, 120hz screen, nvidiq gtx 1660ti max q for the price of $1200 but the color accuracy on the screen is not so outstanding 

Microsoft surface laptop 2 if you don’t mind some of the lower specs compared to the other laptops on this list and the little I/O

Note:the Razer blade stealth and Microsoft surface laptop 2 have their components soldered on.

7 hours ago, KeyBoardMelee said:

I am from the states.

The same budget is around 1150 pounds.

Weight is not an issue.

Eat Least a couple hours, more is better doesn't need to be crazy

Budget in USD? Min how many hours of battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

20 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Budget in USD? Min how many hours of battery life?

1500 usd

5 hours min

On 5/13/2019 at 10:00 AM, KeyBoardMelee said:

medium to low gaming

sturdy laptop

Would like a nice screen

not that graphically intensive, a lot of gamecube emulation, bit of fortnite, steam games.

Probably want 16 gigs of ram or whatever can help the responsiveness of an os

On 5/15/2019 at 7:46 AM, KeyBoardMelee said:

1500 usd

5 hours min

Weight is not an issue

Prefer gaming laptop or regular laptop?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Prefer gaming laptop or regular laptop?

if you are referring to the aesthetics I have no preference, whatever is cheaper.

If you are referring to the capabilities, it should be able to game.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:00 AM, KeyBoardMelee said:

I am going to college in the fall and have to make a decision.

I need a laptop.

I have a gaming pc that I am considering taking with me to school, but i have to buy a laptop anyway, and if it can handle medium to low gaming I don't have to bring it.

I want a sturdy laptop, or at least with cases available that would be able to protect it. I need something that will last, as I will not be getting another.

1500 budget

Would like a nice screen. 

Games I play are not that graphically intensive, a lot of gamecube emulation, bit of fortnite, steam games.

Probably want 16 gigs of ram or whatever can help the responsiveness of an os.

If it helps at all I have this for unrelated reasons new. If it would work in any of them that would be nice, definitely not a necessity

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBV3XX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In any case what do people think about bringing a pc to school along with a laptop? Any conjecture is appreciated. 

Thank you for taking your time to look at this, I really appreciate it. 

Have a nice day!

Dell XPS 15 is the best choice given your budget or MSI P65

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R

Clevo P970RD/ED

Eluktronics Mech-15 G2, G2R

Clevo P960RD, P950EF

Desktop specs:

Spoiler