Do I need a new/better PSU?

IoWii

Hello, my friend wants to know, if he needs a new/better PSU because he just upgraded to an i9 9900k from an i5 7600k paired with a 1080ti. He currently uses a Cooler Master b500. From what we have read online, he will probably need a better one if he wants to hit the 5GHz mark on the CPU, but there was no definitive answer. What type of PSU would you recommend? Budget is 100EUR.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use that psu for such system.He needs to change his psu, he can buy something like seasonic focus plus750w.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Superb, do you happen to know if this one has the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors for the CPU power? He is using Z390 AORUS ELITE and he needs both so he can OC. 

8 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Superb, do you happen to know if this one has the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors for the CPU power? He is using Z390 AORUS ELITE and he needs both so he can OC. 

No, for your budget you may not find that. However, an 8 pin EPS connector for CPU power delivers 300 watts, you likely won't need anywhere near that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@IoWii

would like to refer you to the PSU list.

Tell your mate to get a PSU from tier A or above. 650W powersupply should be plenty I think.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

No, for your budget you may not find that. However, an 8 pin EPS connector for CPU power delivers 300 watts, you likely won't need anywhere near that.

Hmmm, even at 5GHz the 9900k does not go beyond 300W? thanks for your help, we'll try to find one that has one, on the tier list i just noticed that exists, but if we cant (it has to be available in our country) we'll settle for the one you linked. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@IoWii

would like to refer you to the PSU list.

Tell your mate to get a PSU from tier A or above. 650W powersupply should be plenty I think.

Just noticed this exists, searching for one on there now. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, StanicEnemy said:

I wouldn't use that psu for such system.He needs to change his psu, he can buy something like seasonic focus plus750w.

Focus/plus should always be avoided if there is a comparable alternative, like the Corsair RMx, Bitfenix Whisper M, even G2 and G3 even though their protections are set too high. 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16430-About-the-Seasonic-FG-FPG