Pause 3d prints?

Cupar19

Is there any way to successfully pause a 3d print and fully turn the printer off and then continue again the next day?

I just cannot leave my ender 3 on whilst i am out and just cannot make time for some of the longer prints, is there any way to do this?

Not sure about an Ender 3, but I've modified my Wanhao i3 to be able to do this.

The main issue is with re-homing Z, as obviously you dont want to crash the head straight down into the part.

There's a couple ways to do this, I use a Z-Max microswitch. With a Duet 2 or something with trinamic drivers you can use stall detection, but I'd rather not ram the Z-axis about on a regular basis. In theory you can not bother re-homing Z providing the mechanics of your printer make sure that the Z-Axis won't droop by more than 1 step, but I don't trust that personally.

Exactly how you set this up depends on the firmware. AFAIK its not possible ( or at least pretty tricky ) on marlin.

I use a Duet 2 board. For that first you need to generate or alter your config file to make the firmware aware of the Z-Max limit, then calibrate the position of Z-Max (just home on Z-Min, jog up to Z-Max, back off 0.1mm, and single step until the switch activates. Check it a few times as micro switches can have a little bit of variance. Put this value into the firmware configuration.)

You'd need to put the homing and heating commands in resurrect-prologue.g. I also have a purge and wipe in there as well.
Before pulling the power, pause the print (Which you should have setup to hop up in z a small amount then home x-y, so that the head is safely away from the part to prevent oozing onto the part), and the firmware should write out a resurrect.g . Just check that's there and you can pull the power.

When you get back, apply power, then run M916 to trigger the resume.

• 2 weeks later...

ender can pause and resume. either from a manual pause/resume or power failure.