Cheap and small Steam stream machine?

olan1225

Since I got the Steam In-House stream beta today and I loved it I was wondering what is the smallest and cheapest system that you would be able to stream to? I would love to have a monitor wall mounted above my bed with a receiving computer on the back, something like raspberry pi but with an ARM-processor capable of running steam.

What is the best way to go about this? Does it have to be a complete mITX system or are there any other things capable of doing this. I really want to use the real in-house stream and not limelight or anything on a raspery pi since I really liked the way the built in stream feature in steam worked!

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

A nuc might be the way to go, but they are very over prized. Maybee it is simpler to just run a hdmi cable to my bed and skipp the streaming part, but wireless systems are awesome!

Cheapest laptop on Craigslist with wireless n 5ghz. Could probably find one with a broken screen.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

What is the best way to go about this? Does it have to be a complete mITX system or are there any other things capable of doing this.

That's what a "Steam machine" is.

There is nothing magical about them, they are just just small form factor PC with Linux installed.

Steam machine and Steam OS is just a bunch of marketing bullshit with a stupid markup like Alienware.

The whole Steam machine/OS is a scheme to take money from people who don't know any better.

If you have a Kepler based nvidia card you could actually use a raspberry pi.

https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-pi

There's a youtube video showing this off that's very impressive.

wow, thats awesome!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Next time post this in the computer hardware section not the video game one.

Using Tapatalk