Choppy OBS Recordings

Go to solution Solved by suzerain_00,

I've made a number of changes to my configuration and I have resolved the issue. Firstly, I uninstalled Avast antivirus as that was causing numerous other issues - I thought it best to get rid of Avast just to eliminate one potentially massive variable. Above normal process priority with the "faster" encode profile @ 16 000 mbps seems to be very smooth now.

Hello Forum. So I've been trying to iron out this kink in OBS for the past little while, and I can't come up with any conclusions. Essentially, my OBS recordings are choppy and skip frames for reasons I can't explain.

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (OC - 3.85 GHz @ 1.3625V)

MOBO: ASRock AB350 Pro4 (Fan directly over VRM heatsink)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid 240

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 2400 MHz (OC to 2733 MHz @ 1.45V)

GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB

PSU: Cooler Master Elite V2 550W

Case: Corsair 270R (3x120mm Intake)

SSD: WD Blue 250GB M.2 (SATA Interface)

HDD: 1TB WD Black 7200RPM 3.5"

I'll leave an example recording included via Google Drive. While OBS displays the capture during a recording as "59.94 fps", if you look at the recordings frame by frame, there are quite a number of skipped frames. I've included my current OBS settings, but if I change the bitrate or the encoder profile it still doesn't aid the issue. I thought maybe my storage was bottle-necking the output, so I tested the output to my SSD but still no change. My system is well cooled, and I don't run into any thermals above 70°C on my GPU or 65°C on the CPU, it never really gets close honestly. I uninstalled OBS and re-installed OBS, and that lead to no changes. I closed every single app other than OBS and Apex Legends, and the behaviour still persists. You can notice frame skips particularly towards the end of the clip.

Does anyone have any explanations for this? I'd love to hear some feedback, I am absolutely wracking my brain trying to determine what the hell the issue is here. Thanks a bunch! ❤️ 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1srND41balbKsiWzjl_na_uHIHzWUU2YE?usp=sharing

OBS Settings.png

20190426_233240.jpg

I've made a number of changes to my configuration and I have resolved the issue. Firstly, I uninstalled Avast antivirus as that was causing numerous other issues - I thought it best to get rid of Avast just to eliminate one potentially massive variable. Above normal process priority with the "faster" encode profile @ 16 000 mbps seems to be very smooth now.