Small Form Factor (Build Help!)

Nighthawke

Hello!

I used to be a windows guy 10+ years ago, I built all of my own computers, sourced my own parts etc. I went to the dark side of MacOS and I'm wanting to build a small (emphasis on small) but capable windows gaming machine. I'd like to keep it under 1000$ I have monitors, keyboards, etc already, so I don't need to include any of that in the cost. I will ONLY be gaming on this machine. It will be connected to my ultra wide dell display as a second display source. 

I started looking through featured builds on PCpartpicker and got overwhelmed quickly. 

Could anyone recommend a build, or at the least what would be a good backbone (Motherboard, ram, processor) to start with.

16 minutes ago, Nighthawke said:

Hello!

I used to be a windows guy 10+ years ago, I built all of my own computers, sourced my own parts etc. I went to the dark side of MacOS and I'm wanting to build a small (emphasis on small) but capable windows gaming machine. I'd like to keep it under 1000$ I have monitors, keyboards, etc already, so I don't need to include any of that in the cost. I will ONLY be gaming on this machine. It will be connected to my ultra wide dell display as a second display source. 

I started looking through featured builds on PCpartpicker and got overwhelmed quickly. 

Could anyone recommend a build, or at the least what would be a good backbone (Motherboard, ram, processor) to start with.

Hi there! Id be happy to help with a build guide for you, what resolution will you be playing at and what is the resolution of your monitor. This information would help me get a perfect priced build for your specific needs.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

or

Depending on if you want AMD or NVIDIA GPU. The MOBO allows expansion of RAM later on if you want.

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

@Nighthawke I would recommend something like this. for an extra $80 you can throw a 2060 into the case. You also might want to spend about $20 more on a modular gold rated power supply. 

I've built a couple SFF pc's and from my experience you generally start with what case you want and then work backwards from there. You said you wanted a good back back bone so I went with a Z390 board for future cpu upgrades. You can save some by going with with and H370 if you want. If you find the case you want i'll give you a more personal recommendation. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($119.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($77.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue SN500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: FSP Group - Dagger 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1005.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-26 01:17 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W