Laptop Storage Upgrade

V.G.E.R.

Hello,

I am in need of a tip. I want to upgrade my Laptop storage, it is a MSI GS40, and I was wondering if there is any 7200rpm 2.5" Sata iii with 2tb, i am searching in the web but just can't find. There is a big difference with a 5400rpm? Because here in Brazil I found these: ST2000LM015 and ST2000LM007 seagate hdd by 500 reais (around 130 USD) and wonder if it is a good upgrade and also if have so many differences between those two. I do game and watch movies a lot, also have some heavy engineering software (like MatLab, HyperWorks and Fusion 360) the SSD is small (and too expensive in Brazil to upgrade right now) so I use the HDD a lot.

I will be very glad if anyone could help me!!

10 minutes ago, V.G.E.R. said:

Hello,

I am in need of a tip. I want to upgrade my Laptop storage, it is a MSI GS40, and I was wondering if there is any 7200rpm 2.5" Sata iii with 2tb, i am searching in the web but just can't find. There is a big difference with a 5400rpm? Because here in Brazil I found these: ST2000LM015 and ST2000LM007 seagate hdd by 500 reais (around 130 USD) and wonder if it is a good upgrade and also if have so many differences between those two. I do game and watch movies a lot, also have some heavy engineering software (like MatLab, HyperWorks and Fusion 360) the SSD is small (and too expensive in Brazil to upgrade right now) so I use the HDD a lot.

I will be very glad if anyone could help me!!

5400rpm would mean a possible slower boot, maybe look into an solid state hybrid, then it’s more capacity and speed for cheap. I don’t know if they'll have too many in Brazil but it’s worth a shot. 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

28 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

5400rpm would mean a possible slower boot, maybe look into an solid state hybrid, then it’s more capacity and speed for cheap. I don’t know if they'll have too many in Brazil but it’s worth a shot. 

Thx, I found this one 2.000GB (2TB) / 5.400RPM / SATA3 - Seagate FireCuda SSHD - ST2000LX001 for around the same price.... Do you know if it is a good one?

2 hours ago, V.G.E.R. said:

Thx, I found this one 2.000GB (2TB) / 5.400RPM / SATA3 - Seagate FireCuda SSHD - ST2000LX001 for around the same price.... Do you know if it is a good one?

Yeah I use one with my PS4 actually. It’s super fast, a little overkill for space but then you got plenty of room for any games or whatever. 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

I have that drive in my tower as my data/photo editing drive.  For a non-SSD, it seems very responsive.  Since this is a 5400 rpm drive, it will/should be a little cooler and draw less power than a 7200 rpm drive as well.