Odd Battery Behavior

Hi there, my laptop battery is behaving oddly when I try to plug it in. It shows up with the symbol for charging but reads [plugged in, not charging], after about 5 seconds it switches back to the battery symbol then reads it's has no power going to it at all. Also too the battery charging indicator by the charging port is orange indicating that it is plugged in during those 5 seconds then turns white which indicates a full charge. What is also odd is that it charges just fine when the laptop is switched off, leaving me to think it is software related. I have tried the troubleshooting technique of uninstalling the battery drivers, removing the battery then putting it back in and restarting but that has not worked. I've also rolled back to an earlier image and updated the BIOS but to no avail. 

I would like to know if it is hardware or software related and what fixes there are to it because this laptop is my daily driver and I play games in it regularly. I've got an HP Pavilion 17t-ab000 (Core i5 6300HQ, GTX 960M, 8 GB RAM, Win 10 Home 64-bit)

Might just be the battery slowly reaching it's end of life. They lose their charge/capacity over time.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

17 minutes ago, SolidStateofmind said:

Hi there, my laptop battery is behaving oddly when I try to plug it in. It shows up with the symbol for charging but reads [plugged in, not charging], after about 5 seconds it switches back to the battery symbol then reads it's has no power going to it at all. Also too the battery charging indicator by the charging port is orange indicating that it is plugged in during those 5 seconds then turns white which indicates a full charge. What is also odd is that it charges just fine when the laptop is switched off, leaving me to think it is software related. I have tried the troubleshooting technique of uninstalling the battery drivers, removing the battery then putting it back in and restarting but that has not worked. I've also rolled back to an earlier image and updated the BIOS but to no avail. 

I would like to know if it is hardware or software related and what fixes there are to it because this laptop is my daily driver and I play games in it regularly. I've got an HP Pavilion 17t-ab000 (Core i5 6300HQ, GTX 960M, 8 GB RAM, Win 10 Home 64-bit)

Sounds like your battery is at or very close to its end of life.