Another which card question

Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,

I'd get either a vega 56 or a 2060

I’m building myself a system based on Ryzen  2700, Auros x470 gigabyte board. I don’t use 4K monitors, just two 1080p 144mhz jobs. My main usage will be photoshop and video editing with the odd bit of gaming but nothing too taxing. So what would be the best option for a gpu? I can get a 2060 or a 1660 easily enough. Which should I grab?

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'd get either a vega 56 or a 2060

The 2060 is better than the 1660

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

the 1660 ti is slower too... just to add

Yeh

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Sounds like 2060 then. I say that because I always seem to get colour issues on Radeon cards with photoshop, Nvidia seems more reliable for me to that end. Only seems to be about £19 difference in the cost of the vega and 2060 cards.

3 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

I say that because I always seem to get colour issues on Radeon cards with photoshop, Nvidia seems more reliable for me to that end

That is the honestly the wierdest issue ive ever heard of and isnt actually related to the GPU afaik.

Reliability is good on either really. 

7 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Sounds like 2060 then. I say that because I always seem to get colour issues on Radeon cards with photoshop, Nvidia seems more reliable for me to that end. Only seems to be about £19 difference in the cost of the vega and 2060 cards.

which cards? reliability isn't really a problem on either corewise, just some specific cards i wouldn't get

It is related to the drivers and the way they interact with photoshop. Lots have the same in twin monitor setups despite calibration. When you do get it sorted you often find a few updates to Photoshop later and another day of tinkering is required. Only ever see this in Lightroom and PS so it is an adobe problem. When I use onboard intel graphics or any Nvidia GPU I tend to not encounter the same sorts of profile issues.

As for the cards, the door is open. MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte and ASUS all seem about the same price for their more reference 2060s. It’s been a while since I built a home PC (I work on mainframes and large high end systems for a living) so I don’t really know what brands and their potential foibles to look at.

4 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

It is related to the drivers and the way they interact with photoshop. Lots have the same in twin monitor setups despite calibration

so it was a bug? you know drivers get updated, right?

4 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

As for the cards, the door is open. MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte and ASUS all seem about the same price for their more reference 2060s. It’s been a while since I built a home PC (I work on mainframes and large high end systems for a living) so I don’t really know what brands and their potential foibles to look at.

Yep, I know drivers get updated. Doubly do as I work in the industry. Problem is there always seems to be a disconnect between adobe and amd on this front. Just one of those things you experience as a photographer.  I do like AMD GPUs and their drivers etc, the problem firmly lies on the Adobe side as far as I am concerned. 

I’ll check out your link, many thanks for that. So far my build is a Gigabyte X470, Ryzen 2700 with stock cooler, Corsair Gold 750w PSU, 2*16Gb Corsair Vengence all in a Carbide 100R case. I have some M2 1tb cards kicking around in the office so will use one of those as a boot and application device with photo/video storage on some 6tb 7200rpm drives I have in my old box. The GPU area for me was where I was struggling to decide. Should be a good speed increase from my old gen 2 i5 Fujitsu Esprimo machine.

7 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Corsair Gold 750w PSU

txm or rmx?

750 is on the high side, but that aside

Actually I'm facing the same dilemma, but I'm hesitating between the 1660TI and the 2060. The vega 56 is no longer an option because of the power efficiency of the two Nvidia cards. Budget is a big concern too, so I'm saving €70 by taking the 1660Ti, the reasoning being that it can still be a little overclocked to narrow the gap with the 2060 and I'm trying to convince myself that real tracing isn't worth it. Any thoughts?

RMx. I know it is high but the dealer is doing the 750 at the same price as the 550 this month.

3 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

RMx. I know it is high but the dealer is doing the 750 at the same price as the 550 this month.

hm... interesting, then I'd get the 750w too

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Actually I'm facing the same dilemma, but I'm hesitating between the 1660TI and the 2060. The vega 56 is no longer an option because of the power efficiency of the two Nvidia cards. Budget is a big concern too, so I'm saving €70 by taking the 1660Ti, the reasoning being that it can still be a little overclocked to narrow the gap with the 2060 and I'm trying to convince myself that real tracing isn't worth it. Any thoughts?

puget systems is a great source for performance testing

Thanks LukeSavenije.

Based partly on your link I ended up with a Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce card. It is on order and arrives tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Thanks LukeSavenije.

Based partly on your link I ended up with a Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce card. It is on order and arrives tomorrow.

ah, good luck with it!

don't forget to mark this solved, and like here and there