SSD

Bogdan S.

Hello.

I bought a SSD and I have a question.

It will be put in place of the hard drive and I want to know if to install the windows then and put the hard drive in the caddy? 

How's okay? To install the windows when both are mounted or when only the SSD is mounted?

If both are mounted, you need to make sure you are selecting the SSD when  installing Windows.

Do you have Windows on the HDD? Or is this a new pc?

I have windows on hdd. 

I have heard that if they are both mounted, windows will be cached on the hard drive. 

That's why I was thinking of installing the windows when it's just the SSD.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-of-windows-10-os-on-new-ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9

Has a good set of instructions for putting Windows on the NEW SSD, then copying the files off the OLD HDD.

[Edit]

You will have to install everything again using this method.

What I did was buy a Wavlink USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for $15. It also fits 2.5" SATA SSDs as well.

With it I can disable windows and move files. Then reformat the drive and install it clean. Spending $15 is a small price to pay to avoid a battle with Windows.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

38 minutes ago, jones177 said:

What I did was buy a Wavlink USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for $15. It also fits 2.5" SATA SSDs as well.

With it I can disable windows and move files. Then reformat the drive and install it clean. Spending $15 is a small price to pay to avoid a battle with Windows.

OP was right though. Even without an external drive, you can just install to SSD and reformat the old HDD. Just change the SATA cables/boot order in the bios so you boot to the install media, and then to the SDD.