Searching On Windows

The_Real_Skeb

A few weeks ago (2 - 4 weeks) I wanted to search something on the windows search (Windows + S). And every time I start typing, it freezes and then closes as if I didn't type or do anything. I have restarted my computer multiple times and it's not a malfunction on my keyboard since I've tested it in games which use keyboard and mouse. No matter what I start to type, it just goes away and I use the windows search a lot. There are no current windows updates or program updates available and I've done full scans on my PC for viruses or something but nothing comes up.

Its windows, or rather a bad or corrupted update file of somekind. If you contact customer support they'll likely go through a bunch of standard procedures then tell you to boot into troubleshooting mode (Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooting > Update Troubles > Troubleshooter) then navigate through there and do a windows restore that reinstalls windows and keeps your software and data.

Run sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth in an admin cmd or powershell before you restore your computer. This can save  you a lot of time from having to reinstall any programs. 

1 hour ago, imbrock said:

Its windows, or rather a bad or corrupted update file of somekind. If you contact customer support they'll likely go through a bunch of standard procedures then tell you to boot into troubleshooting mode (Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooting > Update Troubles > Troubleshooter) then navigate through there and do a windows restore that reinstalls windows and keeps your software and data.

This is a silver bullet that could cost way too much time and does not teach anyone how to properly fix their machines. 

You can also check to see if there are any errors listed in the event viewer. I would particularly look out for any disk errors. This could be a sign that you might be having a failed disk or a number of failed sectors. This could be temporally patched by using  

echo y|chkdsk c: /f /r /x

Replacing the drive letter with what ever drive letter you have windows installed to. This will schedule a check of the sectors of the disk on the next reboot. If you find any errors after the scan is done, I recommend that you back up your drive and purchase a new one, cus that one is about to crash hard on you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had issues with my computer pertaining to the Windows 10 search and index, and have found a work around to the issue although not a solution yet. Try opening "indexing options" within the control panel and then please post what you notice from the indexing options menu, if it says some error message that may be helpful. If it shows "waiting for indexing status" and does not do anything then try pressing "Advanced" and if it freezes then then its likely a corrupted system file. You may choose to disable the windows search service and not use indexing for files as a work around or other options which I am not aware of at the time.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch