PC freeze/crash with buzzing sound... need help interpreting crash dump

Middcore

For the past several months, at random during games, my PC will freeze up hard with an awful buzzing sound through the speakers for several seconds, followed by a reboot. The sound is identical to what's happening in this video (but there is no real solution there - more on that in a bit).

There is no pattern to when this crash occurs. It is not at all reproduceable to narrow down the cause. On some days I can play games for 5-6 hours in a stretch with no issues, other times it will happen after only 20 minutes.

It does not occur with all games. I can't recall it ever happening with, say, Overwatch, but of games I've played recently I've had it happen with The Division 2, War Thunder, and the Anthem beta. There is no pattern to what is happening in the game when the crash takes place - I've had it happen in the thick of combat and I've had it happen on loading screens.

I monitor all of my system temperatures and stats on a secondary monitor while gaming and there is no issue whatsoever of overheating.

Googling finds no shortage of other people who've experienced this problem or one very much like it with the same symptom of the freeze and buzzing sound... but a wide range of dubious "fixes" ranging from "replace your PSU" to "lol clean the dust out of your PC case it's just overheating" - fixes I've either already ruled out or which would require me to start replacing parts of my system based purely on guesses and hopes.

Obviously I would prefer to get some insight into the real cause before I start investing time and money into new components. My current specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (latest BIOS)

CPU: Core i7-7700k

GPU: PNY GTX 1080 XLR8 (drivers fully up to date)

RAM: 16GB Corsair 2666mhz

OS Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 500GB NVMe

Games drive: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

PSU: Corsair HX750 (2013-era "blue label" model)

Below is an export of the crash dump from the last time this occurred, pulled from BlueScreenView. My understanding is "ntoskrnl.exe" can be any number of things, and I'm hoping somebody can glean some info from the Parameters which will narrow down the cause.

Spoiler

==================================================

Dump File         : 041519-7312-01.dmp

Crash Time        : 4/15/2019 6:09:47 PM

Bug Check String  :

Bug Check Code    : 0x00000133

Parameter 1       : 00000000[ICODE]00000000

Parameter 2       : 00000000[/ICODE]00000501

Parameter 3       : 00000000[ICODE]00000500

Parameter 4       : fffff800[/ICODE]b78dd378

Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1a9690

File Description  : NT Kernel & System

Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company           : Microsoft Corporation

File Version      : 10.0.17134.407 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

Processor         : x64

Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+1a9690

Stack Address 1   :

Stack Address 2   :

Stack Address 3   :

Computer Name     :

Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041519-7312-01.dmp

Processors Count  : 8

Major Version     : 15

Minor Version     : 17134

Dump File Size    : 3,819,684

Dump File Time    : 4/15/2019 6:10:47 PM

==================================================

I've also attached the complete dmp file if that might be useful.

Big thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

041519-7312-01.zip

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

• 8 months later...

Hello !

I have the exact same issue !

Have you found any solutions since ?

Thanks !

Greetings @Middcore, @GoleKar,

With random errors, I tend to suspect the Random Access Memory. As a troubleshooting step, if you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine, I would suggest shutting down the machine, pulling out all but one stick, and testing. I understand the problem is random, but happens within 5-6 hours for Middcore. Try putting a load overnight and seeing if it has crashed in the morning. If it does crash, try first another stick of RAM, then another slot on the motherboard.

Middcore: I used BlueScreenView to look at the .dmp, but unfortunately I am unable to locate the exact issue from it.

If you have already attempted this step, let us know so that we can advise other troubleshooting steps.

Hello CharlesM2020

Thanks for the good advice, yes I have more than one stick, I have a x4 kit for a total of 16Gs (i know, i know, not the best solution, but I had to do with what was available back in 2015 when I knew nothing)

I'll try overnight to do the Prime95 memory stress test and i'll get back to you for more info.

Thanks again !

Hello again !

So, played for 6hours yesterday, did the stress test afterwards, 8hours during the night, and nothing.

It's just so random... I hadn't the problem for months, and this one time it came back, maybe it will not show up until another month or so. It's a real mistery.

Let me know if you have any other idea.

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry bothering you again with this, but it went calm until now.

Just did it again, that d*mn crash.

There is no typical behavior for this. It's so random. 

If anyone has any idea... 

Thanks.