solid vs flexible tubing

Glass is better in almost every way when it comes to hard tubing. it looks better, is clearer, doesn't stain,works will all coolants, and doesn't scratch as easily.

its a tad harder to work with though being that u need to buy a couple extra tools to work with it, a proper cutter/scorer for the glass so u can cut/snap it, and a sander/grinder to smooth out the cuts and ideally you would also chamfer the ends.

That being said, hard tubing regardless of what type, is more prone to leaks than soft tubing simply due to the way the seals work, you rely solely on the fit of the tubing and the o-ring(s) of the fittings, compared with soft tubing where the tubing itself makes the seal and you can tighten down with compression fittings making them near impossible to remove.

Using fittings for bends is going to increase cost greatly.

An alternative is to use soft tubing and design it so your tubing runs are as straight as possible to give the illusion of hard tubing, its cheaper, somewhat easier, and less prone to leaks.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Incorrect, List of plastizier free tubing I have used.

1. Primochill LRT
  2. Mayhems Ultra clear
  3. Tygon e1000

Apparently alot more manufacturers are now producing tubing that doesn't contain plastizier, so sorry.... you're wrong.

"plasticisers" is a very large list of elastomer compounds. Primochill lists two of them that are not present in their product. Well that's great. Good for them. Do they want a cookie? They have to use SOMETHING to make it flexible.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Glass is better in almost every way when it comes to hard tubing. it looks better, is clearer, doesn't stain,works will all coolants, and doesn't scratch as easily.

its a tad harder to work with though being that u need to buy a couple extra tools to work with it, a proper cutter/scorer for the glass so u can cut/snap it, and a sander/grinder to smooth out the cuts and ideally you would also chamfer the ends.

That being said, hard tubing regardless of what type, is more prone to leaks than soft tubing simply due to the way the seals work, you rely solely on the fit of the tubing and the o-ring(s) of the fittings, compared with soft tubing where the tubing itself makes the seal and you can tighten down with compression fittings making them near impossible to remove.

Using fittings for bends is going to increase cost greatly.

An alternative is to use soft tubing and design it so your tubing runs are as straight as possible to give the illusion of hard tubing, its cheaper, somewhat easier, and less prone to leaks.

Fittings have an o-ring on hardline that clamps against the tube and then fitting, the top of the fitting then compresses the o-ring making it impossible to leak unless the following has happened.

1. The oring is damaged
  2. the tube is the incorrect size for the fitting
  3. the tube doesnt sit in the bottom of the fitting correctly
  4. the tube has been cut or bent in a way that exerts pressure to deform the oring

Just now, knightslugger said:

"plasticisers" is a very large list of elastomer compounds. Primochill lists two of them that are not present in their product. Well that's great. Good for them. Do they want a cookie? They have to use SOMETHING to make it flexible.

If you're taking this personally, I will ask you to stop now and leave the thread, you're not helping anyone. I've used those tubing listed and nothing has gunked up my blocks other than algae growth from not using a biocide. If your ego is getting in the way of helping the OP then I recommend leaving.

Things you have incorectly listed:

1. PETG is hard and brittle
  2. All soft tubing has plastizier in it, I can actually confirm this is incorrect.

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

Do you have a plan on how to cut the glass to length?

i've watched some videos and the recommended way seems to be by scoring a point in the glass and then breaking it apart with your hands

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

2 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

If you're taking this personally, I will ask you to stop now and leave the thread, you're not helping anyone. I've used those tubing listed and nothing has gunked up my blocks other than algae growth from not using a biocide. If your ego is getting in the way of helping the OP then I recommend leaving.

Things you have incorectly listed:

1. PETG is hard and brittle
  2. All soft tubing has plastizier in it, I can actually confirm this is incorrect.
Spoiler

I'm not arguing with you about the PETG and Acrylic difference. I mixed that up, i stated as such, and for you to keep bringing it up just to pound me down more while simultaneously telling me not to take it personally is incredibly infuriating. Not sure WHY you chose to do that, maybe you do it often and can't help it, but perhaps you can understand why anyone would become angered by it.

Secondly, anything plastic (which is a term used to describe a property, not a thing) contains a plasticizer (which describes a thing giving a plastic property). You can break that word down to its elements to understand it better: Plastic and -izer. If you still need some reference material, look up the words "plasticizer" and "plasticity" in the dictionary. You can also try using it with other words, such as energizer.

I donno if that was worth it or not. OP, good luck on the glass. It certainly is the best solution to use for long term aesthetic and maintenance reasons IMO. certainly not the easiest to work with, but the reward is worth the effort. One last bit of advice: chamfer the edges slightly so that you don't leave a cutting edge that may damage the O-Ring in the fitting when you press them together.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:
  Hide contents

I'm not arguing with you about the PETG and Acrylic difference. I mixed that up, i stated as such, and for you to keep bringing it up just to pound me down more while simultaneously telling me not to take it personally is incredibly infuriating. Not sure WHY you chose to do that, maybe you do it often and can't help it, but perhaps you can understand why anyone would become angered by it.

Secondly, anything plastic (which is a term used to describe a property, not a thing) contains a plasticizer (which describes a thing giving a plastic property). You can break that word down to its elements to understand it better: Plastic and -izer. If you still need some reference material, look up the words "plasticizer" and "plasticity" in the dictionary. You can also try using it with other words, such as energizer.

I donno if that was worth it or not. OP, good luck on the glass. It certainly is the best solution to use for long term aesthetic and maintenance reasons IMO. certainly not the easiest to work with, but the reward is worth the effort. One last bit of advice: chamfer the edges slightly so that you don't leave a cutting edge that may damage the O-Ring in the fitting when you press them together.

If you feel I'm attacking you, you;re wrong again, I'm just pointing out where you're going wrong. Teachers and such do this all the time, they're not personally attacking you, they're trying to teach you. This information will be read by many people over a substantial amount of time. 

If i mix something up and someone points it out then its fair game, I honestly don't mind, what i do mind is when someone gives someone incorrect data or information then argues the point when i've put time and effort into researching it, think scientists vs facebook medical experts for example. You told this user to go to a hardware store and buy generic off the shelf tubing with no idea what is in it or how it will affect his system, I said use proven products, I didn't personally attack you, i just gave better advice.

I'll leave it there as the thread is turning into one person being upset and the other just trying to spread good information, feel free to pm me if you want to continue.

40 minutes ago, knightslugger said:
  Reveal hidden contents

chamfing seems to be really important since even ek has a warning on their site

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

I use some 90° bend glass tubes in my build and used this tool: https://www.amazon.de/Schneidewerkzeug-Schlaeuche-Rohrschneider-Schneiden-Durchmesser/dp/B01EHQ34IW/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=glasrohrschneider&qid=1555438248&s=gateway&sr=8-4

and some diamond cutt off wheels for the dremel to cut them to size.

I did never regret using glass tubes.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

36 minutes ago, B4Quattro said:

I use some 90° bend glass tubes in my build and used this tool: https://www.amazon.de/Schneidewerkzeug-Schlaeuche-Rohrschneider-Schneiden-Durchmesser/dp/B01EHQ34IW/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=glasrohrschneider&qid=1555438248&s=gateway&sr=8-4

and some diamond cutt off wheels for the dremel to cut them to size.

I did never regret using glass tubes.

oo nice this is the tool jay used and he recommended it I'm definitely getting that

8 hours ago, ki8aras said:

oo nice this is the tool jay used and he recommended it I'm definitely getting that

Yes it works pretty well, but you don't have to use a drill, just turn the tubes a couple times by hand. For deburring or small length corrections are the diamond dremel wheels very useful :D

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.