Houston, I have a boot-up problem after yesterday's feature update.

The feature update to v1903 finished successfully last night and the pc turned off without any further configuration of updates. Now, this pre-welcome screen boot-up circle animation is circling around since the past 30 mins. Even hard restarted but no effect. What should I do next?

IMG_20190414_151851.jpg

6 minutes ago, D33P said:

The feature update to v1903 finished successfully last night and the pc turned off without any further configuration of updates. Now, this pre-welcome screen boot-up circle animation is circling around since the past 30 mins. Even hard restarted but no effect. What should I do next?

Been there, done that. Eventually sitted it out.

Then the nasty thing, once finally at login screen, login, again spinner for like 30 mins, only to come back to login screen again. After that, could login normally.

Sketchy at best.... 

Boot in safe mode, and uninstall the update, then do some file system checking, system corruption test and try to install the update again

4 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Been there, done that. Eventually sitted it out.

Then the nasty thing, once finally at login screen, login, again spinner for like 30 mins, only to come back to login screen again. After that, could login normally.

Sketchy at best.... 

Restarted twice and reset the BIOS settings (ofc after I took a snap of the entire O.C. settings ). So should I just sit and stare at this black hole with white dots orbiting it?

2 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Boot in safe mode, and uninstall the update, then do some file system checking, system corruption test and try to install the update again

By File System and Sys. Corruption Test checks do you mean just sfc /scannow or some more cmd tests too? 

Just now, D33P said:

By File System and Sys. Corruption Test checks do you mean just sfc /scannow or some more cmd tests too? 

chkdsk /F for the file system, sfc /scannow for system integrity checking, and you could also try DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Thats what I did; before that i my wife had the same before me (when i was mentioning the eternal spinner) so when i got it se seemingly already rebooted hard several times (basically she also gave up).

Im not sure how long it eventually took as i went to do other things in meantime.

Good news is, whatever it was doing wasnt screwed by the hard reboots (in our case) so hopefully with a shitton of patience your hopefully good...

1903 isn't out yet?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

1903 isn't out yet?

Nah, it arrived my machine yesterday around 7pm IST. I'm rocking an RS5 OS.

10 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

chkdsk /F for the file system, sfc /scannow for system integrity checking, and you could also try DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Okay. Trying now.

48 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Boot in safe mode

I can't get into safe mode....Tried F4, F6, F8 and even F10.

Just now, D33P said:

I can't get into safe mode....Tried F4, F6, F8 and even F10.

Advanced restart options (the one that cames out when you failed to boot 3 or 4 times) should give you the ability to downgrade with a button

Just now, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Advanced restart options (the one that cames out when you failed to boot 3 or 4 times) should give you the ability to downgrade with a button

I already hard-restarted 7-8 times now, still no advanced restart options.

1 minute ago, D33P said:

I already hard-restarted 7-8 times now, still no advanced restart options.

It's not a good sign...Are you sure there are not any hardware problems?

I would make an USB windows 10 recovery drive, and try things from there...

3 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

It's not a good sign...Are you sure there are not any hardware problems?

I would make an USB windows 10 recovery drive, and try things from there...

Yea, every thing was well and good up until now....not sure if there's any hw issue. Unplugged and replugged my keyboard and mouse, no effect.

I'll try one of my pirated Win 10 discs to get to advanced restart options.

1 minute ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

There is no need to do that... The Windows 10 .iso is free to download

But I don't have any other machine to make a recovery drive. How'll I do that?

A GSOD appeared just now showing the foll. message: "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO" and the spinner came again.

Update: did an sfc scannow in safe mode. Find some corrupted files and it repaired them. The updates were automagically uninstalled when safe mode booted up. Everything back to normal. Rebooted normally just fine. ? 

Sincere thanks to @Chunchunmaru_  ?