Explorer exe starts a "virus" website

Jakers038

I recently downloaded directx and some utility programs from random websites and during the entire thing I downloaded something that makes the computer automatically start up some random popup ad website. If I go to Regcleaner program and startup list, I have this:

program: (my username) filename: "explorer.exe (name of whatever website)"

explo.jpg.2036ba148d6d629448bbf9e602997881.jpg

I have selected that and selected Remove selected, however it just appeared again next time I booted up. I then tried finding the hkey_cu run thing, but I didn't find it anywhere, I guess I have to delete something in the registry, but I'm not sure what.

It is a bit of ham fisted way about it, and more time consuming. But I would just re-install Windows. Save all the files you want to keep, then just do a full reset. Then next time you're installing software, download it from the company website ;)

important figure in mensa

Can't I simply just go into regedit, find the line of code responsible for explorer.exe and modify it?

Found the solution, there's no need to kick yourself in the groin by reinstalling windows, simply do a Malwarebytes (or I suppose any other similar program) scan and that's it, I didn't even need to do any special scans, it took just a few minutes and there's no more websites automatically starting up with windows.