Ever heard of this power loss??

CreamyCornCob

Built PC, GTX 970 etc.etc. EVGA Silver 600w, Gigabyte mobo, low power drawing cpu, all new gear, except the GPU.

Anyways, its been perfect and stable and does what it needs to do for 5 months now.

As I always do, unplugging USB devices etc. 

Last night, I unplugged a 2 gig ext 3.0 HD, and it instantly turned off, like a light switch. I mean the millisecond it was unplugged, it was like I pulled the power cord from the wall.

No wiggling, prying etc. straight out. Poof. Fired it back up, everything's fine. But obviously I don't want the PC shutting down/off like that next time.

After building pc's for almost 2 decades, I have never seen or heard of something like this happening.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Thank You. 

Thanks @Crunchy Dragon

If you mean right clicking and ejecting? Didn't know you could do that. I know about right click and ejecting a 'mounted iso', but should that be done with a USB?? If I'm learning it to be a yes - I'm gonna feel real dumb :D

Thanks Crunchy

Pulling out the USB drive might caused usb power pins to bridge 5v rail together momentarily (moister build up, bent usb shield, damaged physical usb port etc) causing the PSU safety circle to cut power. Seen this before :).

Can also be a super sensitive PSU causing the issue

2 hours ago, CreamyCornCob said:

Thanks @Crunchy Dragon

If you mean right clicking and ejecting? Didn't know you could do that. I know about right click and ejecting a 'mounted iso', but should that be done with a USB?? If I'm learning it to be a yes - I'm gonna feel real dumb :D

Thanks Crunchy

You've always had to "safely eject a USB device" since USB storage was invented.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Thank you two you both. To @Julzilla very good point. Although there is no moisture, bent USB shield or port, the 5v momentarily stop makes sense. Maybe its in the cable. But whatever I'll narrow down, that quick short does make sense. Thank You. It is a EVGA 600 watt new, but you're right, it could be that sensitive and went instant self protect / shut down.

And @Ox1de thank you. I've never in 16 years had to "eject" a physical USB device, ever, and no repercussions of it. Mounting a virtual ISO yes, but not for that.

That would mean any device, keyboard, mouse, steering wheel etc - anything, needs to be "ejected" which isn't the point of portable USB. That isn't needed.