windows update? or cooked MB and CPU

ok.... so i have an ASUS Z270E, Intel i7-7700K, Nvidia 2080RTX, 32gb DDR4 GSkill rgb, EVGA G3+ 750W gold PS, intel 600p 128gb nvme boot drive, intel 660p 500gb nvme for games ect + 2tb spinning disk, anyways so its de-lided was running at 5.45Ghz with the ram running at 3200Mhz it was very stable, and this was all achived running ASUS's AISuite 3 it got these numbers by "auto overclocking" cpu voltages never topped 1.35v and it ran this way for almost 2 years, other than it had a 1070 in it until november 2018, then i put the rtx2080 in it, its been fine... until about the middle of march (5weeks ago), one day it didnt want to stay on without crashing, i went into the bios and defaulted it back, then called ASUS, to try to get some help, well that made it worse then before, the had me resetting the cmos, i fresh installed windows, went back a few drivers... still 4.5Ghz at 1.33v im not happy with their help so far, in fact it took up until 2 days ago before they sent me over to level 2, and now i havent heard anything... this kinda sucks ive busted my rear to build this rig, and even won the silicon lottery with the i7, (i never win anything, not even turkey bingo!!)... now this rig can barely get online, without stuttering and crashing, nothing like a $2500 paper weight.. im hoping that somebody on here knows what the issue could be or can point me in the right direction, thank you in advance for your help, and thank you to linus and his crew, and thank you to the rest of the tech tuber community, you guys are all awesome!!!

Any chance you could try that CPU in a different board? First thing I think of when reading your little story is reinstall Windows, but you mentioned you had already done that. So assuming the problem didn't change after the installation, we should be able to rule out Windows causing the problem.

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

unless i go out and buy a new board i wont be able to try it on a different MB, as for degradation the only thing that would have caused any of that would have been the steps that the asus tech improperly had me do, but honestly i think it originally was an incompatibility with the latest windows update and asus AISuite 3, i recall it doing its update crap when i shut it down the night before, and the asus tech spilled the beans a little bit, mentioning something about incompatibility with the latest windows update, when i did the fresh install of windows i blocked it from updating so it should be running something from the begining of march or late feb.

1 minute ago, jisler_recoveryagent said:

unless i go out and buy a new board i wont be able to try it on a different MB, as for degradation the only thing that would have caused any of that would have been the steps that the asus tech improperly had me do, but honestly i think it originally was an incompatibility with the latest windows update and asus AISuite 3, i recall it doing its update crap when i shut it down the night before, and the asus tech spilled the beans a little bit, mentioning something about incompatibility with the latest windows update, when i did the fresh install of windows i blocked it from updating so it should be running something from the begining of march or late feb.

Okay, you could try and install a (really) old version of Windows. This way you can check if that's an issue. If you don't have an ISO for that send me a personal message, might be able to help you out

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

i do have the one from 2 years ago that i first used, i can give that a swing but im not going to hold my breath... 

i do have the one from 2 years ago that i first used, i can give that a swing but im not going to hold my breath... 

Give it a try, can't make it much worse then it already is right... 

Anyway I have an ISO of 1803, if you want it, just let me know. Might be able to get my hands on even older ones. Which version do you have? 

Edited by Dioneyesos

15 minutes ago, jisler_recoveryagent said:

I'm not really sure I follow you here. The reason for degradation is and would be, because of you having it at 5.45GHz (an astronomical overclock btw!) and using the Auto Overclocking feature. Which is never advised for precisely this reason (overvolting and voltage spikes). While 1.35v is not that high, you cannot be sure this was the actual voltage being applied since your frame of reference was through the AISuite and not the Bios or other monitoring tools like CPU-Z or HWMonitor.  

If you did the fresh install of Windows, and blocked it from updating, then what is the purpose of this thread if you aren't experiencing any issues? I'm not sure I understand what the problem is now. Other than the 4.5GHz overclock @ 1.33v being severely under what you had it originally. Which as I stated sounds nothing more than degradation. 

Additionally, I have a Windows 10 ISO of 1507, if you want a much older version to test.

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

Give it a try, can't make it much worse then it already is right... 

Anyway I have an ISO of 1803, if you want it, just let me know

im also wondering about when the asus tech was having me go through trouble shooting i asked him 3 times before i bridged out the cmos if i needed to switch the PSU off he said no 3 times, he also had some broken english 

Just now, jisler_recoveryagent said:

im also wondering about when the asus tech was having me go through trouble shooting i asked him 3 times before i bridged out the cmos if i needed to switch the PSU off he said no 3 times, he also had some broken english 

Most likely and Indian guy. Almost every tech support is located there because of low cost

1 minute ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

I'm not really sure I follow you here. The reason for degradation is and would be, because of you having it at 5.45GHz (an astronomical overclock btw!) and using the Auto Overclocking feature. Which is never advised for precisely this reason (overvolting). While 1.35v is not that high, you cannot be sure this was the actual voltage being applied since your frame of reference was through the AISuite and not the Bios or other monitoring tools like CPU-Z or HWMonitor.  

If you did the fresh install of Windows, and blocked it from updating, then what is the purpose of this thread if you aren't experiencing any issues? I'm not sure I understand what the problem is now. Other than the 4.5GHz overclock @ 1.33v being severely under what you had it originally. Which as I stated sounds nothing more than degradation. 

Additionally, I have a Windows 10 ISO of 1507, if you want a much older version to test.

well it wont boot up any games, and everything else is just acting up, its all at stock speeds, games crash right away and the system flickers and stuters constantly

3 minutes ago, jisler_recoveryagent said:

well it wont boot up any games, and everything else is just acting up, its all at stock speeds, games crash right away and the system flickers and stuters constantly

Well if it is degradation it's going to crash at stock speeds, because it needs higher voltages now to attain those same clockspeeds. Try overvolting @ stock clocks and go from there. 

i do keep an eye on things with cpu z as well as aisuite 3, precision x1, and task manager... running on a separate screen all of the time

i do keep an eye on things with cpu z as well as aisuite 3, precision x1, and task manager... running on a separate screen all of the time

Have you ever tried running Intel Burn Test, Linpack, or Prime95 while observing CPU-Z simultaneously, to really stress the CPU out and see any voltage surges?

This sounds familiar. Too familiar ?

I agree with @BiG StroOnZ try overvolting at stock speeds. Or even at lower then stock speeds. If you can get it stable, you know where the problem is

1 minute ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Have you ever tried running Intel Burn Test, Linpack, or Prime95 while observing CPU-Z simultaneously, to really stress the CPU out and see any voltage surges?

not since this happened, but before it did push it up to 1.42v, and the temps rarely went over 75c

not since this happened, but before it did push it up to 1.42v, and the temps rarely went over 75c

1.42v sounds a bit high to me. Might be perfectly fine, not sure. I'm no expert on the 7700k tbh

Also another on another note (sorry about your CPU) you should probably update your BIOS as apparently ASUS's BIOS  download servers got hacked for the better part of a year and were feeding malware to PCs.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Also another on another note (sorry about your CPU) you should probably update your BIOS as apparently ASUS's BIOS  download servers got hacked for the better part of a year and were feeding malware to PCs.

Yea that's true. Almost forgot about it

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

did that also

8 minutes ago, jisler_recoveryagent said:

Generally speaking, anything over 1.4v daily is really pushing it for pretty much any Intel CPU. Trust me I know... this 2600k used to do 5.0GHz @ 1.425v daily, now it does 4.4GHz @ 1.3v daily and literally nothing else higher, no matter what, regardless of voltage.

As for the GPU, try a different PCI-E Slot. 

my biggest problem tho is this was like flipping a light swicth, one minute it was fine. next day nope, but i wonder if maybe i go back a bios or 2 and see what happens maybe 1203 or 1009

18 minutes ago, jisler_recoveryagent said:

my biggest problem tho is this was like flipping a light swicth, one minute it was fine. next day nope, but i wonder if maybe i go back a bios or 2 and see what happens maybe 1203 or 1009

Yeah, this is unfortunately the typical process of isolating an issue with your computer. You have to run it through the gamut of trying various things until something finally reveals itself as being the problem.

As for it being like flipping a light switch; it was the same with my 2600k. I had to gradually lower clocks, with same or higher voltages. This continued over a 4-5 year span. Until finally it was simply like, no more, 4.4GHz is all I can do. Been stable there for about three years now.

With your much more aggressive clocks, and the using of the auto overclock feature, I'm guessing that is why it might have seemed more drastic and rapid in your case.

Well I have managed to get the onboard rgb to work again, it was stuck on green not sure what I did just happened to look over at it and it was doing it’s rainbow, maybe it’s a sign??? For a replacement build....