Looking for airflow guidance on my 2080ti FTW3 monster build

OG_Mega

Hey all, 

Hoping I've come to the right place! I have absolutely no idea what the best fans or fan setup is going to be for my new build and was hoping to get some good feedback / guidance on how I should move forward.

I'm been seeing a lot of good feedback for the Corsair LL / ML / ML Pro's and think in terms of aesthetics and sound reduction they might be the best route but still want to get some other opinions if possible. Leaning towards the ML120 Pro RGB's as they seem to run quieter than the LL and ML's. 

Specs: 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ATX

CPU: Intel i9-9900k

CPU Block: Heatkiller IV Pro Copper Ni 18001

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike LGA 1151

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB m.2

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming

GPU Block: EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock for EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200

RAM: TBD

Cooling: Custom loop (99% Bitspower) 

I'd be super appreciative if anyone could give me some guidance on what fans I should run in this bad girl, and what might be the most optimal setup for them. I plan on overclocking ... everything, because if I don't I wouldn't be doing this system any justice at all. 

Thank you! 

How much is all of this going to cost? ?

I have to say, that is a sexy looking case. Really nice pick for looks.

Quiet fans are pretty great. I remember builds from 10-15 years ago I had that were just so loud. Back then most everything seemed to be 80mm fans and for whatever reason they were LOUD.

If you’re wanting great airflow I’m not sure that’s the best case for you. I read several reviews that had an issue with the airflow. If you just need average airflow then set up that Phanteks with the standard front to back airflow configuration. It’s just a killer because it looks so nice. Where were you planning to mount the rad/rads?

If you want a case with a massive side window and much better airflow then I’d look at a Cooler Master H series or something with a similar design. Big front intake (where RGB fans can be shown off) as well as top exhaust.

I seriously love this build idea and want to help however I can.

10 hours ago, dDave64 said:

How much is all of this going to cost? ?

I have to say, that is a sexy looking case. Really nice pick for looks.

Quiet fans are pretty great. I remember builds from 10-15 years ago I had that were just so loud. Back then most everything seemed to be 80mm fans and for whatever reason they were LOUD.

If you’re wanting great airflow I’m not sure that’s the best case for you. I read several reviews that had an issue with the airflow. If you just need average airflow then set up that Phanteks with the standard front to back airflow configuration. It’s just a killer because it looks so nice. Where were you planning to mount the rad/rads?

If you want a case with a massive side window and much better airflow then I’d look at a Cooler Master H series or something with a similar design. Big front intake (where RGB fans can be shown off) as well as top exhaust.

I seriously love this build idea and want to help however I can.

Hey! Thanks so much for chiming in –

To answer your question -___- too much. LMAO. Right now before fans and RAM I'm sitting at mind numbing $4700.

I'm already settled on the case (got it in silver) it's coming in the mail today actually (along with most of the other parts as well). 

The only thing that's going to take a while is the Heatkiller IV since I'm getting it from Germany. Should be here by end of next week though (fingers crossed)

I've attached the configuration that we're going with, along with an image of what the final product is going to resemble. (Not getting 8x8 sticks, and not getting the white/blue cables).  

It's going to run cool AF for the most part, so the fans are just there to move the hot air around and out for me. Honestly I don't think I need the absolute highest performing fans because the loop I'm running is going to be handling most of the leg work. 

I was thinking the Corsair ML120Pro's because word on the street is they're way quieter than the LL's and are almost equally as aesthetic. The LL's also only go up to 1500rpm, whereas the ML's go to 2400rpm

image.png

image.png

56 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Hey! Thanks so much for chiming in –

To answer your question -___- too much. LMAO. Right now before fans and RAM I'm sitting at mind numbing $4700.

I'm already settled on the case (got it in silver) it's coming in the mail today actually (along with most of the other parts as well). 

The only thing that's going to take a while is the Heatkiller IV since I'm getting it from Germany. Should be here by end of next week though (fingers crossed)

I've attached the configuration that we're going with, along with an image of what the final product is going to resemble. (Not getting 8x8 sticks, and not getting the white/blue cables).  

It's going to run cool AF for the most part, so the fans are just there to move the hot air around and out for me. Honestly I don't think I need the absolute highest performing fans because the loop I'm running is going to be handling most of the leg work. 

I was thinking the Corsair ML120Pro's because word on the street is they're way quieter than the LL's and are almost equally as aesthetic. The LL's also only go up to 1500rpm, whereas the ML's go to 2400rpm

image.png

image.png

Very nice!

There's no technically correct way to do the airflow in a setup such as this. There are several schools of thought you could follow. There's an argument to be made for the CPU rad and GPU rad to be exhaust, intake, or any combination therein.

I think radiators work best as exhaust since otherwise you are pulling warm air back in your case, there are exceptions though. Heat also rises so you'll be doing best for sure putting at least the top radiator on exhaust, the heat will exit your chassis just a bit easier there. You may be cooling the radiators with marginally warmer air but you'll keep your chipset and RAM a bit cooler like this since the airflow (and with that cooling capacity) will be slightly restricted for non liquid cooled components.

I assume we are going with bottom intake for PSU? (It doesn't look like this case would play nice with the PSU taking air from the case) Is there another bottom intake for a case fan? I'll include thoughts for with and without since I am not sure.

Option 1 (standard airflow configuration)

Intake - Front and bottom

Exhaust - Rear and top

Option 2 (will keep non liquid cooled components slightly cooler, a bit unorthodox with the airflow path though)

Intake - Bottom and rear

Exhaust - Top and Front

Option 3 (if you don't have a bottom fan)

Intake - Front

Exhaust - top and rear

Option 4 (if no bottom or rear fan)

Intake - Front

Exhaust - Top

Any of those configurations should yield good results depending on your scenario.

If you go with option 3, you may want to up the RPMs on the front fans by 10-15% or so. Otherwise you'll end up with negative case pressure due to there being more exhaust (and the fact that the front doesn't let a huge amount of air in compared to how easily the exhaust vents let air out), I just see a potential for slightly better cooling upping the RPMs on the front, probably not a big deal though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can do a 140mm fan on the rear, that may be worth looking into. Just a bit more airflow. You could even look at externally mounting a rear exhaust fan if that pipe is in the way, there are easy ways to do it (you can also get a cage to install over the blades)

A lot of this just comes down to preference, I'm sure your system will end up being really well cooled with this setup no matter what you do.

Hope this works out!

On 4/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, dDave64 said:

Very nice!

There's no technically correct way to do the airflow in a setup such as this. There are several schools of thought you could follow. There's an argument to be made for the CPU rad and GPU rad to be exhaust, intake, or any combination therein.

I think radiators work best as exhaust since otherwise you are pulling warm air back in your case, there are exceptions though. Heat also rises so you'll be doing best for sure putting at least the top radiator on exhaust, the heat will exit your chassis just a bit easier there. You may be cooling the radiators with marginally warmer air but you'll keep your chipset and RAM a bit cooler like this since the airflow (and with that cooling capacity) will be slightly restricted for non liquid cooled components.

I assume we are going with bottom intake for PSU? (It doesn't look like this case would play nice with the PSU taking air from the case) Is there another bottom intake for a case fan? I'll include thoughts for with and without since I am not sure.

Option 1 (standard airflow configuration)

Intake - Front and bottom

Exhaust - Rear and top

Option 2 (will keep non liquid cooled components slightly cooler, a bit unorthodox with the airflow path though)

Intake - Bottom and rear

Exhaust - Top and Front

Option 3 (if you don't have a bottom fan)

Intake - Front

Exhaust - top and rear

Option 4 (if no bottom or rear fan)

Intake - Front

Exhaust - Top

Any of those configurations should yield good results depending on your scenario.

If you go with option 3, you may want to up the RPMs on the front fans by 10-15% or so. Otherwise you'll end up with negative case pressure due to there being more exhaust (and the fact that the front doesn't let a huge amount of air in compared to how easily the exhaust vents let air out), I just see a potential for slightly better cooling upping the RPMs on the front, probably not a big deal though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can do a 140mm fan on the rear, that may be worth looking into. Just a bit more airflow. You could even look at externally mounting a rear exhaust fan if that pipe is in the way, there are easy ways to do it (you can also get a cage to install over the blades)

A lot of this just comes down to preference, I'm sure your system will end up being really well cooled with this setup no matter what you do.

Hope this works out!

That was amazing, thank you! Sorry for the slow reply, been busy with work –

I think option 4 is what I'll be going with, because I'll have the 6 fans (3 front x 3 back) and it only makes sense. Because of the layout, I don't think I'll be able to fit a fan inside in the rear (because of the pipe like you stated), and think that it'll look cleaner without a fan externally in the back. Ultimately I think the cooling power will be fine, but if I see it become a problem I just may slap another fan on the external back. 

In terms of the airflow push/pull (with option 3), I'd be pulling from the front (intake), and releasing out of the top (exhaust), right? 

One thing that always confused me about fans, is when installing them, how do I know which way they'll spin, and which way to install them. Suggestions? 

3 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

That was amazing, thank you! Sorry for the slow reply, been busy with work –

I think option 4 is what I'll be going with, because I'll have the 6 fans (3 front x 3 back) and it only makes sense. Because of the layout, I don't think I'll be able to fit a fan inside in the rear (because of the pipe like you stated), and think that it'll look cleaner without a fan externally in the back. Ultimately I think the cooling power will be fine, but if I see it become a problem I just may slap another fan on the external back. 

In terms of the airflow push/pull (with option 3), I'd be pulling from the front (intake), and releasing out of the top (exhaust), right? 

One thing that always confused me about fans, is when installing them, how do I know which way they'll spin, and which way to install them. Suggestions? 

You can normally look at the fan blades and tell. The fan will blow in the direction that the concave side of the fan blades face. If you think about it that makes sense because a fan needs to catch the air and then move it forward.

some fans also have an arrow on the casing to tell you which direction they flow.

Alternatively, you could power it on and see.

and yes. 3 intake blowing in the front and 3 exhaust blowing out the top. You have that correct.

depending on exactly where the pipe is you could maybe fit an 80mm fan flowing out but it’s not likely to be hugely important.

3 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

You can normally look at the fan blades and tell. The fan will blow in the direction that the concave side of the fan blades face. If you think about it that makes sense because a fan needs to catch the air and then move it forward.

some fans also have an arrow on the casing to tell you which direction they flow.

and yes. 3 intake blowing in the front and 3 exhaust blowing out the top. You have that correct.

depending on exactly where the pipe is you could maybe fit an 80mm fan flowing out but it’s not likely to be hugely important.

Got it - thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, dDave64 said:

Hey man, wanted to keep you in the loop – literally. 

I'm currently running a cleaning cycle of Mayhems Blitz Part 2 and figured I'd drop in and share my progress with you. 

Leak test video here

5 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Hey man, wanted to keep you in the loop – literally. 

I'm currently running a cleaning cycle of Mayhems Blitz Part 2 and figured I'd drop in and share my progress with you. 

Leak test video here

That looks sweet! It should look very clean once you're able to take the towels out of there.