UPGRADING: GPU OR CPU first ???

Karacken

Hey everyone.

I recently bought 144hz monitor and  I'm  planning to play apex legends at 144fps.

My SPECS:

-i3 7100

-gtx1050ti

-8gig ddr4

I'm upgrading my computer by one component at a time as i dont have money to buy both parts rn.

What should i buy first ?? CPU(ryzen 5 2600) or should i go for GPU (GTX 1660ti) for best performance boost.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'd wait for zen 2, and perhaps even for NaVi.

Zen 2? you mean the Ryzen 3000 series?

Also It would be great if you tell me  something about navi, is this a new architecture or  just new GPU, Would that be of same price as 1660ti tho?

15 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If 144 FPS with Apex Legends is your goal, see how close you can get to reaching it. If you still can't reach it even if you set everything to low, then upgrade the CPU first.

144fps with a 1050ti wont be possible on apex.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

144fps with a 1050ti wont be possible on apex.

Yeah i know, But i can only upgrade one part at a time.

Should i upgrade Gpu first and  later upgrade cpu or CPU first?

The 1050ti is still very good, obviously not the best, but still good.

your i3 is only a dual core. Definitely upgrade the processor first. If you're going to hit a bottleneck, it'll be your processor 99% of the time. 

You'll need to get a new motherboard to do it but I think it's worth it. I'd even upgrade to 16GB of RAM before considering upgrading the GPU.

You will still benefit from the higher refresh rate monitor even if you don't actually feed a frame for every refresh cycle. 

1 minute ago, dDave64 said:

The 1050ti is still very good, obviously not the best, but still good.

your i3 is only a dual core. Definitely upgrade the processor first. If you're going to hit a bottleneck, it'll be your processor 99% of the time. 

You'll need to get a new motherboard to do it but I think it's worth it. I'd even upgrade to 16GB of RAM before considering upgrading the GPU.

Yeah i would have to buy mobo and cpu  or prolly ram ,so upgrading GPU OR CPU would  cost the same. but i would buy the part which gives me fps  boost right away and then buy other components in next 2-3 months.

do you think ryzen 5 with 1050ti would give me more fps or i3 with 1660ti ?

Just now, Karacken said:

You'd have to check which one is being stressed harder when in game to know 100% but I'm almost sure that will come back to the i3 slowing it down a whole lot more than the 1050Ti. I'd personally upgrade the CPU first.

The 1660Ti atm would give you higher fps now, but it could be stuttery and being cpu bound is the most painful thing imo. I'd upgrade the cpu first.

1 hour ago, Karacken said:

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Really? I would say GPU first as I dought GPUs are going to get much better in the coming months (yah theres navi, but that's not coming until a lot later and we don't have any info whether its going to live up to the hype) but Zen 2 is almost certain to come in a few months and be a huge upgrade over current gen stuff. Also you will get much more FPS out of a better graphics card than a better CPU for now.

2 hours ago, Karacken said:

Zen 2? you mean the Ryzen 3000 series?

Also It would be great if you tell me  something about navi, is this a new architecture or  just new GPU, Would that be of same price as 1660ti tho?

yeah, 3000 series, zen 7nm, whatever you want to call it.

Navi is a new arch, I think its still GCN, maybe a new revision. It will prob span a large price range, kinda like Polaris, 100-400$.