Help with creating an Apple based VLC server

Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Easiest would be to use plex and tell it not to look up media information (so you don't get mismatches), and when you download subtitles make sure they have the same filename as the video.

If you rename the subtitles to match the movie, even VLC will automatically allow you to chose it. I've never used VLC on an Apple TV - I would assume as long as the sub file is in the same folder and has the same name, you would be able to chose it.

**Actually if the language is one of the mainstream ones (Chinese/Spanish/French/Japanese) there may even be a plugin / solution for plex to download/scrape media information for your collection.

Hello Linus Tech Tips forums,

I was wondering if I might be able to get some help with setting up a VLC media server. I am a 100% noob to server items. I am currently creating a library of tv shows, the shows I am downloading are not in English. So I am using one piece of software to download the videos and another to get the subtitles. Then I am using VLC to combine the two together (though for some reason I can’t export them properly so the combined videos are just sitting in VLC). I would love to be able to watch the shows on my Apple TV but I have yet to find any step by step guides for setting up a VLC server with a Mac. I’ll do my best to detail my hardware I’m working with below. Obviously I know it is probably easier to do with a windows based system but that is not something I own. 

Hopeful server:

2013/14 Mac Mini w/8tb hard drive (usb) connected for wireless time machine backups (for other Macs in the house) and hopefully VLC video/subtitle files. 

Streaming box:

Apple TV 4K w/ VLC app already installed. 

Easiest would be to use plex and tell it not to look up media information (so you don't get mismatches), and when you download subtitles make sure they have the same filename as the video.

If you rename the subtitles to match the movie, even VLC will automatically allow you to chose it. I've never used VLC on an Apple TV - I would assume as long as the sub file is in the same folder and has the same name, you would be able to chose it.

**Actually if the language is one of the mainstream ones (Chinese/Spanish/French/Japanese) there may even be a plugin / solution for plex to download/scrape media information for your collection.

8 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Okay awesome thanks for the tips :), I'll take a look into the Plex eco system. 

12 hours ago, Samurai Jack said:

Just as an update, thank you so so so much for suggesting Plex. It is the easiest thing I have ever used and it is working great thank you :)

It's basically the de facto go-to Home Media Server software. It's easy to install, easy to setup, and works well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Also works great for anime ? Used to be you had to add anime agents (something like animelist) to get info about the series. tvdb seems to have a huge chunk now - haven't had it miss one yet.