CPU hot air into PSU

automata_killa

Hi,

I got a simple question, would it be bad to pull CPU coolers air into psu?

I've got a CM 110 elite case in which the PSU mounts on top of the motherboard and on my CPU I have NH-L12S cooler that has a bottom mounted fan pushing air up. Currently it would blow it onto PSU casing however I can flit it in order to have the PSU working as an exhaust. Is that a bad idea?

It'll mostly just be that your psu will be a bit hotter but it shouldn't matter much.

12 minutes ago, automata_killa said:

Hi,

I got a simple question, would it be bad to pull CPU coolers air into psu?

I've got a CM 110 elite case in which the PSU mounts on top of the motherboard and on my CPU I have NH-L12S cooler that has a bottom mounted fan pushing air up. Currently it would blow it onto PSU casing however I can flit it in order to have the PSU working as an exhaust. Is that a bad idea?

the worse that could happen that a bit more noise would be generated from the PSU because of its fan trying to cool it

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

why wouldn't you have your PSU flipped the other direction so it draws in fresh air into your PSU?  how high does the cooler go, Does it touch the PSU?  also how do you have the fan on the cooler?  you should have it in a pull configuration like this.  image.jpeg.5feba6c968d3fd86a94a2e6da6ff8310.jpeg

Its not going to hurt anything but you may have extra noise due to the fans 

21 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

why wouldn't you have your PSU flipped the other direction so it draws in fresh air into your PSU?  how high does the cooler go, Does it touch the PSU?  also how do you have the fan on the cooler?  you should have it in a pull configuration like this.  image.jpeg.5feba6c968d3fd86a94a2e6da6ff8310.jpeg

Its not going to hurt anything but you may have extra noise due to the fans 

Too much effort for no gains and a retarded setup. I would have to flip the internal fan of the PSU for that, currently I have it in a semi isolated loop, top intake and back exhaust (that's how it's designed to work in the 110 elite case). Stock the fan on the noctua is pushing air up..

2-3mm clearance between fins and psu

36 minutes ago, Sychic said:

It'll mostly just be that your psu will be a bit hotter but it shouldn't matter much.

Thought as much, thanks.

Why would you do that? Increasing PSU temp is never a good idea.

I would say that the grille on top of the case is put there to keep PSU from overheating. Flipping it around would be counter productive

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

In my CM E130 I have the PSU drawing in outside air, the front fan as exhaust, and the side mesh restricted to force inlet air to flow over the back IO and from the right hand side to the board/cpu cooler. The GPU was boxed off at one point but I wasn't seeing much difference there and it was a pain to get resealed when I opened the case.

About 10 years ago and more, it was the defacto standard to have the PSU mounted in the top of the case removing warm air from the case and exhausting it out the back. Recently it has become more popular to have a bottom mounted PSU inhaling air from outside the case, and quite recently with a PSU shroud nearly completely separating the PSU from the rest of the case. You should have no problem at all. Especially in ITX builds like yours, the PSU frequently serves dual roles, power delivery and exhaust fan.

It won't cause any harm to PSU. Fan may run faster, thats about it. I don't think heat was really main design thing when PSUs were moved from top spot to bottom. It may have been more about giving more watercooling/AIO room on top where tubes will reach better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv