First time cooling – 2080ti FTW3 monster build

3 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

I have my old NZXT Kraken x62 that I can plug onto the CPU, would that work in terms of booting to BIOS?

As long as you have an Intel bracket for it, it should work.

9 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

If I do that, after I'm all done and the CPU block comes in, I just need to take isopropyl and clean off the CPU and reapply thermal grease right?

Yup, you got it. 

11 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Last thing – I just put the front radiator in with a fan to judge spacing. The reservoir is HUGE. To be honest I have no idea how he got that thing to fit the way he did. Hoping that when I take it apart and install everything it'll fit nicely, but eyeballing it I'm a little worried. In the video he has the front radiator all the way at the bottom of the case and then a straight line from the radiator to the reservoir with a 90' fitting. When I tried that it wasn't straight on, I had to lift the radiator up higher so it would fit. Fingers crossed that when I get the pump in, the whole reservoir assembly will fit and it'll work. 

That is where the rotary fitting (double or triple) comes into play. Even if the port from the radiator is not completely level with the 90° fitting, the rotary can be adjusted slightly up or down so that it lines up.  

17 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

As long as you have an Intel bracket for it, it should work.

Yup, you got it. 

That is where the rotary fitting (double or triple) comes into play. Even if the port from the radiator is not completely level with the 90° fitting, the rotary can be adjusted slightly up or down so that it lines up.  

Not even that, there's just no vertical room for a pump or ANYTHING - it seems. Check it out: https://imgur.com/a/ZzbC8gl 

Thoughts? It's the same exact reservoir he used though, the Bitspower V2 250. This is the link he provided in the description, it's the same unit, but in his video it looks at least 3 inches shorter? 

23 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Big ass reservior

Oh. Can you take a picture with the fans on the radiator so I have a point of comparison? (You don't have to screw them in, just put them right next to it) You're right that that looks like a bigger reservoir than what he had. 

Just from comparing how the pipe in the inside looks, that is definitely a larger reservoir.

EDIT: I'm thinking that he used the 200mm version of that tank.

EDIT2: If you have the second radiator and fans on hand install them at the top and see how much clearance you have. I think you can still work with this if you have room to move it higher.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s

13 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Oh. Can you take a picture with the fans on the radiator so I have a point of comparison? (You don't have to screw them in, just put them right next to it) You're right that that looks like a bigger reservoir than what he had. 

Just from comparing how the pipe in the inside looks, that is definitely a larger reservoir.

https://imgur.com/a/ZzbC8gl - added new pictures. I think he used a 200ml not a 250ml? That would cut off ~3 inches. Super annoying, but just bought the 200ml off amazon because they only had 1 in stock that would get to me by Monday. 

Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, OG_Mega said:

https://imgur.com/a/ZzbC8gl - added new pictures. I think he used a 200ml not a 250ml? That would cut off ~3 inches. Super annoying, but just bought the 200ml off amazon because they only had 1 in stock that would get to me by Monday. 

Thoughts? 

Yea, the 200mm reservoir is definitely the one he used. Did you buy the 250 from Amazon? Hopefully you can still return it.

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Yea, the 200mm reservoir is definitely the one he used. Did you buy the 250 from Amazon? Hopefully you can still return it.

We're sure it's the 200ml, not the 150ml, right? Just making sure haha. Magic Cube + Pump = 63mm height, which should fit almost perfectly once installed

Negative, bought it from Performance-PCS. 20% restocking fee which stinks, but at least I realized the sizing issue right now and not on Thursday lol. 

For as well done Stuarts videos are, his description was maybe 50% accurate.. Quite upsetting tbh

3 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Negative, bought it from Performance-PCS. 20% restocking fee which stinks, but at least I realized the sizing issue right now and not on Thursday lol. 

For as well done Stuarts videos are, his description was maybe 50% accurate.. Quite upsetting tbh

Agreed. He probably just has a list of stuff that he copies and pastes from since he makes so many builds.

Maybe you can sell it when you sell your old parts. Or you can use if for a future build :P

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Agreed. He probably just has a list of stuff that he copies and pastes from since he makes so many builds.

Maybe you can sell it when you sell your old parts. Or you can use if for a future build :P

Yeah, trying to see if it's cheaper to return (20% restock fee....) or sell.. fml. 

I'm certain it's the 200ml version though, so hoping that's the only hiccup I have :(

Yeah, trying to see if it's cheaper to return (20% restock fee....) or sell.. fml. 

I'm certain it's the 200ml version though, so hoping that's the only hiccup I have /cry

I think you have to pay for return shipping as well.

While on my lunch, I'll look over the parts list one more time to see if there are any more discrepancies. 

13 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I think you have to pay for return shipping as well.

While on my lunch, I'll look over the parts list one more time to see if there are any more discrepancies. 

Really appreciate that !!!

Another note I've been thinking about. For his front radiator he used a ~53.4mm thick radiator, and the sf360 we're using in the front of mine is only 30mm. Do you think I should find a radiator that is a little thicker, or will it not matter? Curious about how it'll affect pressure, cooling ability, etc. but I don't know anything about these things so ... thoughts? 

I believe the equivalent of what he's using is this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/black-ice-nemesis-360gtx-ultra-stealth-dual-core-xtreme-profile-radiator-black-carbon.html#Features. Edit: Grabbed that off Amazon real fast, will return if not the right fit / move. Otherwise, it gives me options, but from a quick search it seems HWL may have arguably the best radiators, and i think the bitspower ones are simply HWL with a bitspower stamp on them.

15 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Really appreciate that !!!

Another note I've been thinking about. For his front radiator he used a ~53.4mm thick radiator, and the sf360 we're using in the front of mine is only 30mm. Do you think I should find a radiator that is a little thicker, or will it not matter? Curious about how it'll affect pressure, cooling ability, etc. but I don't know anything about these things so ... thoughts? 

I believe the equivalent of what he's using is this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/black-ice-nemesis-360gtx-ultra-stealth-dual-core-xtreme-profile-radiator-black-carbon.html#Features. Edit: Grabbed that off Amazon real fast, will return if not the right fit / move. Otherwise, it gives me options, but from a quick search it seems HWL may have arguably the best radiators, and i think the bitspower ones are simply HWL with a bitspower stamp on them.

Did you buy the SF360 from Amazon as well?

Typically, the thicker the radiator, the better the cooling capacity. The main drawback of thicker radiators is that you would require the fans to spin faster to get air to pass through which also increases noise. Luckily you are getting the ML120s which are a balance of high pressure and high airflow fans. You would still have to run at a faster speed with the thicker rad, but not as much with these fans.

Most radiators are made by the same manufacturer so most are probably just rebadged versions of the same rad. What you really want to look at is the fin density, thickness, size, and port locations that will fit your need, and not the brand when choosing radiators.

14 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Did you buy the SF360 from Amazon as well?

Typically, the thicker the radiator, the better the cooling capacity. The main drawback of thicker radiators is that you would require the fans to spin faster to get air to pass through which also increases noise. Luckily you are getting the ML120s which are a balance of high pressure and high airflow fans. You would still have to run at a faster speed with the thicker rad, but not as much with these fans.

Most radiators are made by the same manufacturer so most are probably just rebadged versions of the same rad. What you really want to look at is the fin density, thickness, size, and port locations that will fit your need, and not the brand when choosing radiators.

Negative, got the SF360 from Performance I believe. I'd keep the Touchaqua 360 up at the top, and just use the thicker radiator in the front for the most part, unless I should throw this radiator here up top instead of the Touchaqua. 

15 minutes ago, OG_Mega said:

Negative, got the SF360 from Performance I believe. I'd keep the Touchaqua 360 up at the top, and just use the thicker radiator in the front for the most part, unless I should throw this radiator here up top instead of the Touchaqua

Nah, the Touchaqua should do the job. The performance difference between those two are probably negligible since they are both slim rads.

Took a second look at your build. The only thing that I can think of that might be a bit of a headache is the CPU block. This headache is an aesthetic one and not a function or fit one. Looking at the Heatkiller block the inlet port is the one located in the middle indicated by an arrow. If you lay it out like how Stuart has it on his build, the logo will be upside down. 

10 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Took a second look at your build. The only thing that I can think of that might be a bit of a headache is the CPU block. This headache is an aesthetic one and not a function or fit one. Looking at the Heatkiller block the inlet port is the one located in the middle indicated by an arrow. If you lay it out like how Stuart has it on his build, the logo will be upside down. 

Ah I see – does it matter which port is used for what? I.e., if they're just hole does how they're laid out really matter? From this thread here, it seems that any temperature fluctuation is minimal?

PS: Just emailed Jakob over at watercool.de to ask

Ah I see – does it matter which port is used for what? I.e., if they're just hole does how they're laid out really matter? From this thread here, it seems that any temperature fluctuation is minimal? 

Well I'll be damned. I wish I saw that when I had to disassemble my loop when accidentally put it backwards and thought it made a difference. I guess you are okay to put it in whatever port you want.

Just so you are aware of how it works, fluid goes into the inlet and flows through a jet plate that accelerates it. It then goes over the fin stack and absorbs the heat coming from the CPU. It then exits out of the outlet.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Well I'll be damned. I wish I saw that when I had to disassemble my loop when accidentally put it backwards and thought it made a difference. I guess you are okay to put it in whatever port you want.

Just so you are aware of how it works, fluid goes into the inlet and flows through a jet plate that accelerates it. It then goes over the fin stack and absorbs the heat coming from the CPU. It then exits out of the outlet.

Thanks for that knowledge! Yeah, I'm going to see what Jakob comes back with, but if it's a huge difference I'll run it upside down idc really. Not like I'm staring at the case 24/7 anyway lmao. Will post back when he responds though, probably by tomorrow afternoon (I hope – he's in Germany IIRC).

Edit: @Dissitesuxba11s 

• How do you think he mounted the reservoir in the case? Do you think he mounted it directly into the fan on the front radiator, or?
  • Also, is there a huge difference in the Touchaqua 360mm that I have for the top, and the bitspower sf360 I had for the front (that is being replaced by the new, thicker rad?) Reason I ask is because I got the Touchaqua on Amazon, so I can return that free of charge, whereas the Bitspower Sf360 I got through the p-pcs store which will be a 20% restock fee. Was thinking I can use the sf360 on top and return the touchaqua for free if performance is more or less the same. Link for the Touchaqua (not sure of FPI or fins) and this is the link for the Bitspower SF360 (16 FPI 25 Micron Copper Fins).
  • Another edit: This is the manual for the Heatkiller IV Pro, it says, "On INTEL Sockets 1150, 1155 and 1156, horizontal alignment is usually not possible. Only few mainboards are compatible." Is there any way to see if my motherboard is compatible, otherwise, am I boned?

6 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

How do you think he mounted the reservoir in the case? Do you think he mounted it directly into the fan on the front radiator, or?

That is exactly what he did. He used the Bitspower Premium Reservoir Mount at the top of the reservoir and mounted it on the screws to the fans. I think what he did was install one half of the res mount on the top fan and radiator first. Once that is all in the case, he installed the reservoir with the second half of the res mount.

Also, is there a huge difference in the Touchaqua 360mm that I have for the top, and the bitspower sf360 I had for the front (that is being replaced by the new, thicker rad?) Reason I ask is because I got the Touchaqua on Amazon, so I can return that free of charge, whereas the Bitspower Sf360 I got through the p-pcs store which will be a 20% restock fee. Was thinking I can use the sf360 on top and return the touchaqua for free if performance is more or less the same. Link for the Touchaqua (not sure of FPI or fins) and this is the link for the Bitspower SF360 (16 FPI 25 Micron Copper Fins).

That's a great idea. Performance difference between the Touchaqua and the SF360 is almost negligible, so feel free to return the Touchaqua.

Another edit: This is the manual for the Heatkiller IV Pro, it says, "On INTEL Sockets 1150, 1155 and 1156, horizontal alignment is usually not possible. Only few mainboards are compatible." Is there any way to see if my motherboard is compatible, otherwise, am I boned?

You should be fine. Z390 motherboards are 1151 socket.

12 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

That is exactly what he did. He used the Bitspower Premium Reservoir Mount at the top of the reservoir and mounted it on the screws to the fans. I think what he did was install one half of the res mount on the top fan and radiator first. Once that is all in the case, he installed the reservoir with the second half of the res mount.

That's a great idea. Performance difference between the Touchaqua and the SF360 is almost negligible, so feel free to return the Touchaqua.

You should be fine. Z390 motherboards are 1151 socket.

This is great .... shipping on my CPU block delayed.. image.png.00a59b641bafbc5b12304219db891ad6.png

2 hours ago, OG_Mega said:

This is great .... shipping on my CPU block delayed.. image.png.00a59b641bafbc5b12304219db891ad6.png

Oh dang, did you get everything squared away with customer service?

Oh dang, did you get everything squared away with customer service?

Yeah, hopefully it'll be sorted out tomorrow.. hopefully lol

@Dissitesuxba11s - Hey, also wanted to ask. Once I get this beast set up and powered on (hopefully before the weekend). Any idea how I can test my 980ti? Would I simply plug it into the motherboard in a different slot than my waterblock, or should I probably do that before i set up everything (and just boot the 980ti from bios?)?

Just now, OG_Mega said:

@Dissitesuxba11s - Hey, also wanted to ask. Once I get this beast set up and powered on (hopefully before the weekend). Any idea how I can test my 980ti? Would I simply plug it into the motherboard in a different slot than my waterblock, or should I probably do that before i set up everything (and just boot the 980ti from bios?)?

Probably best to just test it while you are testing the motherboard and CPU out of the case without the 2080Ti. Doing it with another GPU in the first slot sometimes doesn't show the second card since the GPUs are from different generations.

Probably best to just test it while you are testing the motherboard and CPU out of the case without the 2080Ti. Doing it with another GPU in the first slot sometimes doesn't show the second card since the GPUs are from different generations.

Thanks! 

Also .. the Heatkiller IV is stuck at customs in Germany and won't be getting it on time ... no time given as to when it'll be released either.

Looking for other options for CPU blocks, was looking at the Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT with Vision potentially. Any other suggestions? Trying to get something overnighted but that is proving to be rather difficult..

1 hour ago, OG_Mega said:

Thanks! 

Also .. the Heatkiller IV is stuck at customs in Germany and won't be getting it on time ... no time given as to when it'll be released either.

Looking for other options for CPU blocks, was looking at the Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT with Vision potentially. Any other suggestions? Trying to get something overnighted but that is proving to be rather difficult..

If you want RGB you can get this one from EKWB via Amazon.