HDD Docking station: would it work with a 19-pin to USB3.0 converter?

Go to solution Solved by Kedohawyr,
54 minutes ago, Core512 said:

I see. Is there any way to make this device work with a laptop?

Not in a way that makes any kind of sense.

One of the key components you'll need to make this work is a USB to SATA bridge cable of some kind. But if you buy one of those you'd still have to split the power off somehow and splice it into that molex power socket (so you'd likely need to buy a molex cable as well and then cut them both apart to rewire them). It would be 100 times easier to just plug the drive directly into the USB to SATA bridge cable the way it was meant to be used.

image.jpeg.051471cb59b267ee65098b906555202f.jpeg

Cables like the one above sell for under $10 and let you plug a 2.5" drive into a USB port (the one above is USB3 which has a single USB plug, they also sell USB2 ones which have 2 USB connectors to get enough power for the drive)

Hi Everyone,

So I bought a TUrbo-X ZUB-XPSSD HDD / SSD docking station today.

This little beast can contain 2 pcs of 2.5" HDDs, and has hotswap functionality.

Pretty neat.

I was so excited about it that one tiny fact slipped my attention:

To be able to use it, I would need a 19-pin connection on the motherboard.

Given the fact that I have a laptop, I don't have that available.

The only cable they included is a female 19-pin connector, which "comes out of the box", literally speaking. :)

My questions may sound a little silly (if not a lot):

1) Is there a legit converter for this cable?

2) If I buy a 19-pin to USB converter cable, would the thing work if I just plug it into my laptop?

I have an Acer Helios 500 (Intel version).

I have attached pictures which show the front and the backside of the device, and its cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

front.JPG

back.JPG

cable.JPG

The USB connection is just for the ports on the front of the enclosure.  The SATA ports and power port are what connects to the drives.

32 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The USB connection is just for the ports on the front of the enclosure.  The SATA ports and power port are what connects to the drives.

Yep, I am aware of the front ports - I was just wondering if there is a converter for the blue female 20-pin cable, which I could connect to my laptop somehow.

Would that be possible with some kind of converter, or is there a hub for that?

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

Just ordered one now from amazon.de, the reseller fortunately had one in their warehouse!

It will take a bit of time for it to arrive to Bulgaria (between mid April-early May), but I can survive. ?

You're a lifesaver, thanks a bunch! ??

On 4/5/2019 at 1:22 PM, Core512 said:

Yep, I am aware of the front ports - I was just wondering if there is a converter for the blue female 20-pin cable, which I could connect to my laptop somehow.

Would that be possible with some kind of converter, or is there a hub for that?

No, what I am saying is that the drives do not use the USB connection.  With the adapter you just end up with a USB3 extension cable and no drives.

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

No, what I am saying is that the drives do not use the USB connection.  With the adapter you just end up with a USB3 extension cable and no drives.

54 minutes ago, Core512 said:

One of the key components you'll need to make this work is a USB to SATA bridge cable of some kind. But if you buy one of those you'd still have to split the power off somehow and splice it into that molex power socket (so you'd likely need to buy a molex cable as well and then cut them both apart to rewire them). It would be 100 times easier to just plug the drive directly into the USB to SATA bridge cable the way it was meant to be used.

image.jpeg.051471cb59b267ee65098b906555202f.jpeg

Cables like the one above sell for under $10 and let you plug a 2.5" drive into a USB port (the one above is USB3 which has a single USB plug, they also sell USB2 ones which have 2 USB connectors to get enough power for the drive)

32 minutes ago, Kedohawyr said:

Holy smokes, I completely forgot about the power.

Yeah, connecting the drives directly really makes much more sense than messing around with the molex cable.

Thanks a whole lot for the advice, you might have just saved me a dozen hours figuring out why the damn thing doesn't work. :)

I returned the device to the shop and ordered two USB 3.0 enclosures. They will arrive tomorrow :)

I also cancelled my Amazon order.

Thanks for all the help!