Remote Access to a VM?

anniephantastic

Does anyone have any insight/advice on how to rdp into a VM?

Some details about the VM:

• Software: created on VMWare Workstation 15 Player
  • Networking: NAT (can be changed)
  • Operating System: Windows Server 2016
  • Remote access has been enabled in Server Manager as well as in the OS settings

This is for a group project and we were previously using Microsoft Azure for everything and we had no problems using RDP to connect to the Azure VMs, but after some complications we had to switch to a local VM instead.

Essentially, I just need help figuring out the whole RDP situation so my fellow group members can also work on the project. It's been a while since my server and networking classes, so I honestly don't remember how to go about this.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

I think all you have to do is to set your VM networking from NAT to Bridge so it is grabbing the IP address from your DHCP on your network.

I use Teamviewer for Windows/Mac and ssh for Linux distros but I am no expert.

If you're using NAT you need to port forward 3389 in the workstation network manager, or switch to bridge mode (way much easier)

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

If you're using NAT you need to port forward 3389 in the workstation network manager, or switch to bridge mode (way much easier)

Please don't port forward RDP to the internet. You'll get owned.

Get a VPN solution and have them VPN in. You need an IP within the network of the VPN Gateway (or a router in theory) so NAT has to go.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:11 PM, Acedia said:

Please don't port forward RDP to the internet. You'll get owned.

Get a VPN solution and have them VPN in. You need an IP within the network of the VPN Gateway (or a router in theory) so NAT has to go.

Forwarding NAT in the workstation manager is not the same as forwarding on your internet firewall/gateway. My suggestion will only allow LAN access outside of workstation's internal network.

Workstation is a product from vmware that allows you to create virtual machines within Windows/Mac. By default it creates an internal network it just calls "vmnet#" and all internet bound traffic is routed through workstation's network manager which then would be further routed through your normal firewall/gateway. OP didn't state whether or not this would be over the internet or all locally (could be on campus). If it's over the internet then I would also suggest a VPN in addition to RDSH web portal / Apache Guacamole / Teamviewer.