Buying Mechanical Keyboard In Massdrop

_Hustler_One_
Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,
7 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

How does Massdrop transaction system work? From what I catched is, they will wait till the number of the buyers match the number of the hardware stock then proceed to the shipment? CMIIW

If it is a group buy like for this keyboard, they will have it open for a month or so (manufacturer decides) and you join any time in that period, but will only be charged at the end. Sometimes, like for keycaps, they have minimum order quantities (MOQ) that they set that once it is achieved, often times they lower the price (not all group buys lower the price). That lower price is for everyone that joined the group buy. After the group buy is done and payments are taken, said payment is given to the manufacturer and the product is made. The manufacturing process often times takes months which is usually stated with a far ship out date on the product page. Not all group buys hit this date and sometimes delays happen.

7 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

If that so, how if the numbers is not achieved?

They usually set it relatively low so it can be achieved, but if it doesn't make it, they cancel it and rerun it in a few weeks.

Alternative to this keyboard, how about the GK64?

15 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

OLKB Planck. It's a hotswap otholinear keyboard. You can buy it on OLKB's website directly but it is often sold out so I jumped on this group buy. They currently have their Preonic keyboard on group buy through Massdrop right now.

It's so unique.. But I can't see that kind of style suits my needs.. Compact and mini mechanical keyboards are in a different league from the others, it's just unique and beautiful.

@geo3 is the one who responsible here for injecting me this virus when I just looked for a compact keyboard back then to accomodate more space for mouse movements, but end up getting dragged to the enthusiast zone and I'm dragged too far to where I cannot resist the charm of mini mechanical keyboard anymore.

But I still stand my intention to get the most compact with additional keys for my needs (65-70 form factor) without any imbalance gap between keys like Leopold style and the likes.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I've ordered from Massdrop a number of times. It's cool if you don't mind waiting. I think the longest I've waited was 6 months, but that's on the extreme end.  It's usually in the range of 1 to 3 months. Usually a drop has a predetermined end date at which point they put in the order with the manufacture/supplier.

If you don't mind an ortho layout look into the XD75. It's the exact same width as a standard 60%, 15 rows, but has 75 keys in total.

18 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I've ordered from Massdrop a number of times. It's cool if you don't mind waiting. I think the longest I've waited was 6 months, but that's on the extreme end.  It's usually in the range of 1 to 3 months. Usually a drop has a predetermined end date at which point they put in the order with the manufacture/supplier.

If you don't mind an ortho layout look into the XD75. It's the exact same width as a standard 60%, 15 rows, but has 75 keys in total.

Wow! The waiting really needs serious patience.. The longest wait I bought stuff overseas was 2.5 months, it's already made me nervous and worried by any negative possibilities in mind..

You and @Dissitesuxba11s told about your own experienced and no issue? I guess I'll give it a shot..

What is ortho layout?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

10 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No stagger between rows, everything is aligned in a grid.

Hmmm.. They are cool anti-mainstream, but I'm afraid I will get a difficulties to get used to type on them. The basic ISO/ANSI 60% form factor is great, but the 65-70% form factor is perfect for my needs.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

Just now, _Hustler_One_ said:

Hmmm.. They are cool anti-mainstream, but I'm afraid I will get a difficulties to get used to type on them. The basic ISO/ANSI 60% form factor is great, but the 65-70% form factor is perfect for my needs.

There is definitely a learning curve, but once you get used to it I feel it's actually easier to use. The stagger is unnatural for your hands, it's just a left over from the days of typewriters when they hand to avoid mechanical jamming.  It took me about a week to get used to it, and about 2 weeks to become proficient. 

14 minutes ago, geo3 said:

There is definitely a learning curve, but once you get used to it I feel it's actually easier to use. The stagger is unnatural for your hands, it's just a left over from the days of typewriters when they hand to avoid mechanical jamming.  It took me about a week to get used to it, and about 2 weeks to become proficient. 

Thanks for the informations. I feel I'm still trying to get the C70, if it's not happen, then I will get the best of ISO/ANSI 65 or 68 layout ones you can recommend..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

10 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I had and loved the Tada68. I only got rid of it because I wanted to go smaller.  A cheaper option would be the Magicforce 68.

If you do get a Tada68 I don't suggest you get the kit that comes with keycaps as those default ones are too thick and contact the switch housing interfering with the key presses.

16 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Magicforce 68

That extra keys are in a layout that I avoided. Prefer to get linear column of keys just like C70 or Tada68 and the likes..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs: