How do I control the 3-pin fan speed?

kelvinhall05

I recently bought some be quiet! Pure Wings 2 and they're...meh. They look cool, but they're only three-pin fans, which I did not realize while I was purchasing them. Oh well.

They're quite loud, almost the same volume as my old, stock case and rad fans, which is unacceptable for $80+ worth of fans. I looked in the BIOS and set the fans to the "quiet" setting, but there isn't much of a difference. I have the two rad fans connected to the headers that come from my H100i V2 and the intake fans connected to 3-pin headers (CHA_FAN 2 and 3) on my motherboard. How can I quiet them down? Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Have you set the control mode to voltage rather than PWM?

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

13 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Have you set the control mode to voltage rather than PWM?

I don't think he can control the speed with 3pin, or am I wrong on that note ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I don't believe that those fans have a controllable speed, I know that mine do not. I have a set of 3x Up Here RGB fans, and have them all powered with the provided hub, every boot I have to manually launch since my motherboard thinks I have absolutely no fans connected, and has a stroke.

EDIT:

Specs for fan are:

Fan speed @ 100% PWM / 12V (rpm) 1,500

Perhaps look into your BIOS settings on launch, with my ASUS motherboard I had to manually go into fan settings, and adjust when fans kicked on, and what RPM/voltage to use.

10 minutes ago, MisguidedChoices said:

I don't believe that those fans have a controllable speed, I know that mine do not. I have a set of 3x Up Here RGB fans, and have them all powered with the provided hub, every boot I have to manually launch since my motherboard thinks I have absolutely no fans connected, and has a stroke.

EDIT:

Specs for fan are:

Fan speed @ 100% PWM / 12V (rpm) 1,500

Perhaps look into your BIOS settings on launch, with my ASUS motherboard I had to manually go into fan settings, and adjust when fans kicked on, and what RPM/voltage to use.

Yes if you goes to monitor option in BIOS perhaps theres option for quiet or standard speed.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4-pin fans get 12V all the time and use a signal to determine how long the motors turn on and off. 

3-pin fans get a variable voltage (between 5V and 12V) to control the fan speed. 

If your motherboard's BIOS is set up for PWM fan control, it will be sending that pulse to the 4th pin instead of lowering the voltage.  The 3-pin fans will basically get the full voltage all the time. 

So make sure the fan settings in your BIOS are set for voltage control rather than PWM. 

23 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

I don't think he can control the speed with 3pin, or am I wrong on that note ?

23 hours ago, MisguidedChoices said:

Whether or not fans can be controlled is dependent on the header you're powering the fan from and not the fan itself.

@kelvinhall05

What motherboard are you using? Did you make sure to save the fan settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Whether or not fans can be controlled is dependent on the header you're powering the fan from and not the fan itself.

@kelvinhall05

What motherboard are you using? Did you make sure to save the fan settings?

I'm using a Sabertooth X58. I saved the settings multiple times.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm using a Sabertooth X58. I saved the settings multiple times.

I'm not seeing a fan setting for Chassis Fan 3 Speed in this Tweaktown article: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3613/asus_sabertooth_x58_intel_x58_express_motherboard/index4.html

Do you see a setting for that header? Is Chassis Q-Fan enabled?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not seeing a fan setting for Chassis Fan 3 Speed in this Tweaktown article: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3613/asus_sabertooth_x58_intel_x58_express_motherboard/index4.html

Do you see a setting for that header? Is Chassis Q-Fan enabled?

No, I don't. I'm not exactly sure what Q-Fan does, but I'm pretty sure it's disabled.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, I don't. I'm not exactly sure what Q-Fan does, but I'm pretty sure it's disabled.

Q-Fan is required for fan control.