New GPU, lower fps. HELP!

Mentor1g

I need a hand regarding low fps problems. 2-3 years ago my hardware was able to run CS with 400fps. Now it varies between 90 and 150. As a 144hz user it is really annoying.

Yesterday I changed my old GTX 770 4GB to a brand new GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB with no results in fps growth. They are still on the same level.

Please find my specs below:
- Cpu: Intel Core i7-i3770 3,4gHz, 3,8gHz on turbo boost
- Cpu cooler: be quiet! shadow rock 2

- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

- Memory: 1st Crucial MX-200 250gb SSD 2nd Random 2tb HDD Storage: Chieftec GPS-500A8 500W

- Graphicscard: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8gb 256bit

- RAM: Crucial 11CL 4x8gb 1600MHz

I play mainly CS:GO, i tried different settings in game but none of them actually increased my fps more than +/- 10. I also formatted my PC yesterday and reinstalled all the drivers.

Every tip is appreciated!

CSGO is more dependant on the CPU than anything else really. Your 3770 is holding you back

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

CSGO is more dependant on the CPU than anything else really. Your 3770 is holding you back

Then why FPS dropped when i upgraded my GPU? Is it the bottleneck thingy?

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

True. Many valve games depend on cpu, take tf2 as an example. Even if you have that rocking rtx 2080,

you are just bottlenecking your cpu

Neko52

3 minutes ago, Mentor1g said:

Then why FPS dropped when i upgraded my GPU? Is it the bottleneck thingy

Yes, you sre giving your cpu a hard time cause of the new graphics card. Tbh you can run cs:go on integrated graphics as long as your cpu is good.

Neko52

4 minutes ago, Mentor1g said:

Then why FPS dropped when i upgraded my GPU? Is it the bottleneck thingy?

I'm sure there's been updates that changed how the internals of the game is optimized- the 3770 is an older chip now so I'm sure hardware degradation plays a role too.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

I'm sure there's been updates that changed how the internals of the game is optimized- the 3770 is an older chip now so I'm sure hardware degradation plays a role too.

3 minutes ago, Nathan The Neko said:

Yes, you sre giving your cpu a hard time cause of the new graphics card. Tbh you can run cs:go on integrated graphics as long as your cpu is good.

So is there any way possible i could possibly crank up my fps to 144 to at least be able to use the full potential of my display?

1 minute ago, Mentor1g said:

So is there any way possible i could possibly crank up my fps to 144 to at least be able to use the full potential of my display?

You can try turning settings around or adding in launcher options. A list of which you can see here:

https://skins.cash/blog/csgo-launch-options/

3 minutes ago, Mentor1g said:

Search for LowSpecGamer in youtube. He helped me a lot in squeezing every drop of fps in games

Neko52

The CPU is old but I wouldn't just assume it's the problem. Go check the CPU usage on each core and your GPU usage during the game. If the GPU is at 100% usage then you can throw out the cpu bottleneck as the cause. If it isn't fully loaded then you will want to check to see if one of your CPU cores or threads is fully loaded. If this is the case then it is likely a CPU bottleneck. 

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The CPU is old but I wouldn't just assume it's the problem. Go check the CPU usage on each core and your GPU usage during the game. If the GPU is at 100% usage then you can throw out the cpu bottleneck as the cause. If it isn't fully loaded then you will want to check to see if one of your CPU cores or threads is fully loaded. If this is the case then it is likely a CPU bottleneck. 

Its Bottlenecked. He said it happened by the time he changed his GPU, as many valve games (cs:go, tf2) depends on the cpu

Neko52

If I were you, I'd put back the old gpu in the build. or just upgrade to a better cpu. Not all games depend on the gpu. You shold keep a balance of parts. Uprading ram also help get a bit more fps in those kinds of games

Neko52

7 hours ago, Nathan The Neko said:

Its Bottlenecked. He said it happened by the time he changed his GPU, as many valve games (cs:go, tf2) depends on the cpu

That's the most baseless claim if I have ever heard one. There are so many things that can cause performance issues other than a bottleneck from a hardware upgrade. Hell just today I had an issue with poor performance in a game and had to do some settings changes in the nvidia control panel to fix it and this was completely out of the blue. I play the game all the time so it was very weird and it took awhile to figure out a solution. Jumping to a conclusion before testing is just plain dumb. I dont know about you but I tend to actually diagnose issues properly before I go out and buy hardware. I dont buy hardware based on a hunch that it's the issue. 

On 3/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, Brooksie359 said:

That's the most baseless claim if I have ever heard one. There are so many things that can cause performance issues other than a bottleneck from a hardware upgrade. Hell just today I had an issue with poor performance in a game and had to do some settings changes in the nvidia control panel to fix it and this was completely out of the blue. I play the game all the time so it was very weird and it took awhile to figure out a solution. Jumping to a conclusion before testing is just plain dumb. I dont know about you but I tend to actually diagnose issues properly before I go out and buy hardware. I dont buy hardware based on a hunch that it's the issue. 

My answer can be a possible problem. Of course there are more problems, It can be drivers, Software, Bottlenecking, etc. So don't just say that your case is the only case. There are a lot of problems that cause the same thing. It also depends on which game it is.

Neko52

8 hours ago, Nathan The Neko said:

My answer can be a possible problem. Of course there are more problems, It can be drivers, Software, Bottlenecking, etc. So don't just say that your case is the only case. There are a lot of problems that cause the same thing. It also depends on which game it is.

You stated it as fact without any formal evidence. This is often detrimental to figuring out the actual issue because you simply state what you think the issue is as a fact rather than a suspicion leading people to spend money to fix and issue that might not even be present. Normally you state what you think the problem might be then you test to verify if that is actually the case. I love it how you have the gall to try and play it off like I was the one insulating that it could only be one issue. Did you even read what I had said? You are the equivalent of a doctor making a diagnosis purely based on some symptoms and not even talking the time to do proper testing then giving the patient treatments based on that assumption.