Want to hear some thoughts on my future build.

SSJ11
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

correct

Recommended edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ENux

EDIT: Because everyone is suggesting to get a 780 or 780ti, I went with the 290x because of the VRAM, and because I want mantle.

What's up guys? I'm here to ask everyones opinion on my upgrade plan. Since I'm getting a nice chunk of money soon, I thought I might as well upgrade my PC since it's more of a "Max settings on 720p" build that I made a little while back with some spare cash I had saved up. Since I only have a a 1280x1024 monitor, 720p was basically the max 16:9 resolution I could get anyway. The thing is, I'm getting a new 1080p monitor soon, and I want to be able to really take advantage of that real estate, and a few side monitors.

As you can see, it's nothing to brag about. The case is great for a crap ton of air flow, but it has like, no features besides the gigantic 230mm fans, I really want the option to watercool my PC in the Future, and this case has no options for that. 

So, my upgrades went from, upgrade the CPU and GPU, to basically getting an entirely new rig, and I want to hear some opinions on it. Just like, what you would change, weather it be for some nicer aesthetics, or higher quality parts. Money isn't really an issue with this one, but i don't want to spend a crap ton of money for stuff I know I won't need.

Rig will be used for heavy gaming, light editing, and maybe some streaming in the future.

and to help, TL;DR

1. Budget & Location: No real budget, but I don't want to buy things that I know I won't use/need. Located in the US (West Coast)

2. Aim: Heavy gaming,light editing, possible streaming, and multitasking with chrome/games/recording software and such.

3. Monitors: What I have, 1x 1280x1024, 1x 1360x768 for watching videos, and hopefully another 2x 1080p monitors soon.

4. Peripherals: I already have my peripherals. G600, Shine 3 (I love this thing), razer sphex mouse pad, ATH-M50, getting a fiio e10 soon.

5. Why are you upgrading?: Based on my current build, it's not going to handle the 1080p gaming I want to do, or all the monitors...plus...I can :D

Why watercool?

Are you planning to cf?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ TigerDirect) 

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($119.99 @ NCIX US) 

Memory:  G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.50 @ NCIX US) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($88.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ NCIX US) 

Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1764.38

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 22:12 EST-0500)

Why watercool?

Are you planning to cf?

For the experience/knowledge, temps, looks :P

And not anytime soon, but maybe in the future.

Honestly, take it down to 8GB of RAM if you don't do a ton of video/picture editing or 3D rendering, swap out the 290X with a 780Ti, and it would be a nearly perfect gaming rig.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

For the experience/knowledge, temps, looks :P

And not anytime soon, but maybe in the future.

You're talking about a custom loop right?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ TigerDirect) <i know the price:performance is better with the 8320, but i do plan to OC that 8350
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.97 @ OutletPC) <already have a much better cooler
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($119.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory:  G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.50 @ NCIX US) <want more ram for editing/multitasking with chrome
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($88.99 @ Amazon) <didn't think i could get them that cheap...thanks :D
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) <want more storage than that.
Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ NCIX US) <nope want mantle support. Don't want to X-fire soon.
Case:  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg) <want to water cool in the future...
Total: $1764.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-20 22:12 EST-0500)

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ TigerDirect) <i know the price:performance is better with the 8320, but i do plan to OC that 8350
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.97 @ OutletPC) <already have a much better cooler
Memory:  G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.50 @ NCIX US) <want more ram for editing/multitasking with chrome
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($88.99 @ Amazon) <didn't think i could get them that cheap...thanks  :D
Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($499.99 @ NCIX US) <nope want mantle support. Don't want to X-fire soon.
Case:  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg) <want to water cool in the future...

You're talking about a custom loop right?

correct

Personally, I would recommend the GTX 780 as of the moment because the prices of the Radeon cards have gone through the roof because of the litecoin craze or whatever. Just an opinion.

correct

Recommended edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ENux

Hmmm then a few questions:

1.) Why no custom cooler on the 290?

2.) do you really think I need the extra 100 watts on my PSU? Or is it more of a "Just to be safe..." reason?

and I figured the H100i would be kind of a waste lol. Good to see it from someone else. Thanks

Hmmm then a few questions:

1.) Why no custom cooler on the 290?

2.) do you really think I need the extra 100 watts on my PSU? Or is it more of a "Just to be safe..." reason?

and I figured the H100i would be kind of a waste lol. Good to see it from someone else. Thanks

No need for aftermarket 290 if you're watercooling. 

If you're going to oc two 290's + 8350 all wc'ed, 850 is definitely preferred.

No need for aftermarket 290 if you're watercooling. 

If you're going to oc two 290's + 8350 all wc'ed, 850 is definitely preferred.

Ahhh, didn't think about that. You saved me a nice chunk of money that I could now use for that water cooling kit. Might get started on that loop sooner than I thought. :D

Much appreciated.