Help! My Roku Causing High latency on every other device

myronw

When using a Roku TV Stick my parents like to use this to turn their tv into a smart tv, It has no ethernet port so It can only be connected over wireless. 

When My parents come in from work and use the device no matter what app they may be on, my ping on Counter Strike Global Offensive spikes up to around 150ms and then quickly back down to about 40 every 5 seconds or so which causes me to slide around the map.

I have troubleshooted this issue so many times, had an engineer to the house to test the line, they say no issues there. I can watch videos and streams on twitch while the roku is on and it doesnt buffer, but when I am pinging google or trying to play any sort of game or even talk in discord I lag. 

I have tried all sorts of ways to fix this issue, I bought a dedicated Network card with a gigabit Ethernet port for my PC that didnt change anything other than lowering the ping slightly to google when the roku isnt being used. I have also setup a QoS on a third party router using FTP and UDP ports for CSGO and still no luck putting that to Highest priority and also putting my PC mac addresss and port to highest priority hasnt changed anything either, I even used the mac address of the roku stick and set that to low priority. And also I have gone into the roku stick and limited the bandwith to 5Mbps and still no luck. 

Currently I live in an area in which I get "fibre" speeds. as its FTTT (to the cabinet) and copper for around 700m from my house. Which gives me speeds of 

25 Mbps download and around 6 Mbps up. which should be more than enough to watch netflix and game at a reasonable ping dont you think?

My point to all this is there anything anyone can suggest to me to try and fix this issue? 

*edit 

I have diagnosed it to be defiantly the roku stick by playing anything on the roku stick while pinging google and then turning it off and then seeing what the ping is like after this. 

I would also like to note that I am using a wired connection I have a 25m Cable running through my house to my PC and I have pinged the router/ default gateway and I get >1ms without fail. 

Annotation 2019-03-26 212730.jpg

its pretty well known at this point, that the Roku calls home,  a lot.  its probably eating your bandwidth when it does it

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

its pretty well known at this point, that the Roku calls home,  a lot.  its probably eating your bandwidth when it does it

So there is nothing I can do about it? 

25 download is kinda low for a 1080p netflix stream & gaming.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, myronw said:

So there is nothing I can do about it? 

im running pi-hole on my network and its blocking all requests it makes.   might help

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Optane^ said:

25 download is kinda low for a 1080p netflix stream & gaming.

Netflix recommend 5mbps for a Full HD stream. and Im sure other streaming services dont use that much more. 

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

im running pi-hole on my network and its blocking all requests it makes.   might help

Aw I assumed they were mainly used for blocking ads etc. 

How do I go about configuring it so blocks all requests? is there any tutorial you could send me would be appreciated 

Just now, myronw said:

Aw I assumed they were mainly used for blocking ads etc. 

How do I go about configuring it so blocks all requests? is there any tutorial you could send me would be appreciated 

pihole is designed to block ads, yes

however, it does this by blacklisting specific domains that ads use.   simply add the domains the roku is calling to the blacklist, and those will be blocked too.

|Specs in profile|

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

pihole is designed to block ads, yes

however, it does this by blacklisting specific domains that ads use.   simply add the domains the roku is calling to the blacklist, and those will be blocked too.

Ah thank you very much, will the roku still be able to stream?

1 minute ago, myronw said:

Ah thank you very much, will the roku still be able to stream?

yea, it just wont be able to send data about your network to roku

|Specs in profile|

9 minutes ago, myronw said:

Netflix recommend 5mbps for a Full HD stream. and Im sure other streaming services dont use that much more. 

Yeah they "recommend" that but if you actually look on what a netflix stream pulls, it uses 1GB an hour alone on just and HD stream. I doubt you get 25 consistently anyway

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"