Advice on New Wi-Fi Card

jiyeon

Hi, so recently my Asus PCE-N15 has been quite inconsistently performing and I blame its price and hardware, it's a wireless-N card that supports up to 300Mbps.

I can barely achieve 20Mbps on Wi-Fi using it compared to the maximum 60Mbps that I would get on hardlined Ethernet, and even then, the download speed isn't consistent, as it bounces around 5-15Mbps depending on a lot of factors such as time of day and whether or not my PC wakes up on the right side of the bed.

For comparison, my laptop will easily achieve 30Mbps and above, I've even seen it peak at 70Mbps. It has an Intel 8XXX (I forgot which model) wireless-AC card.

I want to go for the Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I, it's a wireless-AC card that comes with Bluetooth 5, and is rated for 1733Mbps.

Is it worthwhile to upgrade from my Asus wireless-N card to this Gigabyte wireless-AC card? The optimist inside me feels this new Gigabyte card will alow me to reach consistent speeds of 30Mbps and above just like my laptop would. The Gigabyte card has an Intel Wireless-AC 9260, which is apparently a card released late 2017, supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, and is indeed rated for 1733Mbps.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

The upgrade is indeed worth it. I also want to point out that you should also look your home network and your Acess Point. They can be a huge part of your low speeds

14 hours ago, IgorM said:

The upgrade is indeed worth it. I also want to point out that you should also look your home network and your Acess Point. They can be a huge part of your low speeds

Awesome, I've just gone ahead and ordered the Gigabyte card. :)

In terms of checking my home network and APs, what should I be looking for? I'm a complete noob at anything networking-related.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches