1 10gig vs 4 1 gigs

kostas0176
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Link aggregation won't benefit you here since it would all be single source/destination it won't load balance. I would go for a single 10Gb link which will net you the gain in transfer speeds you're looking for, plus it's much simpler to setup.

Ok, so i'm looking to upgrade the connection between my server and gaming rig, right now they share a 1g line, and i was wondering what would be more practical/cheap to do, buy two 4x1g cards or 1x10g, my server however will most likely never exceed 3gbps since read/write locally i'm seeing speeds of ~370mb/s. My server is running ubuntu server 16.04LTS and i am by no means a linux guru so some tips for configuring it would also be appreciated. Also, if 4x1gs is better, can i buy an 8 port managed switch dedicated for these two and, use the onboard 1g on my systems for internet and well, file sharing for everything else on my network?

Link aggregation won't benefit you here since it would all be single source/destination it won't load balance. I would go for a single 10Gb link which will net you the gain in transfer speeds you're looking for, plus it's much simpler to setup.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: