Review: MEElectronics M-Duo IEMS

Evil Genius Jr.

First off let me say this is my first time reviewing IEMs and the review presented is in my opinion, your milage may vary.

So recently I began looking for a new pair of IEMs around the $50 range. This price range has a large variety of IEMs available, some good others bad. So how did I end up with the M-duos?

Frankly by chance, I was considering the S4s, the Flux in ears and all the other options in that range, then I stumbled across the M-Duos during an amazon search. I'm sure true audiophiles wouldn't look twice due to the title " Enhanced Bass". The reviews were very good everywhere I looked so I figured I'd give them  a shot. The M-Duos have a feature pretty unique in this price range, they have two drivers in each earbud. This theoretically enhances both bass and highs. Spoiler IMO it works.

MEE_MDuo_img1.jpg

The M-Duos are ~$60 at the time of writing from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Driver-Enhanced-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00D4MPZLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390229171&sr=8-1&keywords=m+duo

Included with the IEMS themselves is a shirt clip, 3 single flange tips, 1 double flange tip, 2 triple flange tips and a clamshell case.

DSC_0260.JPG

Personally I prefer the medium size single flange tips, they provide a perfect seal with my ear, however there are enough tips provided that you will probably like at least one.

DSC_0259.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

The case is pretty high quality and can fit the IEMS themselves and all the tips comfortably.

Accessories are pretty cool and all but what about the IEMs?

Upon first taking them out of the package I was very surprised by the build quality. The earbuds, Microphone/button and 3.5mm jack are all aluminum. It provides a very good feeling. The cable is nothing spectacular but gets the job done and shouldn't have any problems. The IEMS seem very durable for the price.

DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

The single rubber button acts as play and pause on my Galaxy S3. It provides a good feel and seems like it will last.

Okay so they're shiny, but how do they sound?

So I am going to assume many would be skeptical of the sound with good reason. They're fairly cheap and have a very nice outward appearance. Plus the "Enhanced Bass" label. I listen to mostly alternative rock, some country, some classic rock, and some top 40.

Overall clarity:

The IEMS seem very clear. Occasionally there was a little static but I believe that was my source as it would happen with all headphones I tried. Nothing seems muddled and they provide very good isolation. At conversation distance with my S3 on about half volume I couldn't hear anyone, just see lips moving. None could hear the music from the outside either. However that is more tip dependent.

Highs:

The highs are surprisingly very good. Female vocals really shine and for a "Bass enhanced" headphone you would expect these to be awful, but they are not. They provide very clear highs and I had no problem picking out different notes and instruments in the high range.

Mids:

The mids are also clear but not so much as the highs. They are still very good but not as stunning as the high and bass are. You can easily pick out the guitar and other instruments in this range .

Bass:

I was expecting my head to be shaken off, however this is nowhere near the case. The bass is very strong and present, but it is very tight. There is no shaking and it doesn't overwhelm the mids or highs. Drums sound amazing but you are still able to hear everything else. It's not insane base like my Razer Kraken Pros are. but the bass actually exists unlike my other noname IEMs. IMO It's a great sound.

Soundstage:

They're IEMS so it's not going to be amazing, but honestly I had not problem playing AC IV and using them to position footsteps. Don't let the soundstage keep you from buying them. It's adequate and possible better than others in this range(haven't compared).

Conclusion:

I would highly recommend giving these a try if you're in need of new IEMs in this price range. Fit should be no problem due to the number of included tips and if the sound is not your style amazon has an amazing return policy. That said I love these IEMs, I purchased them based on reviews but still expected them to sound awful- well it's safe to say I was very surprised!

If I missed anything ask away! 

Great review,

I've been using MEElectronics in-ear buds for about 5 years now, love them, and still on my original pair. I take a 3-day train trip every year or so and find them invaluable. There's a certain amount of noise dampening you get from in-ear buds and the dual baffle design helps seal them in. I forget what model of them I have but they have a large variety of options for different budgets. Mine were aroud $30 when I bought them.