Dropped CPU onto Carpet

I accidentally dropped my brand new i7 8700 onto the carpet from about 3-4 feet from the ground. It was inside the plastic protector and the actual CPU didn't touch the carpet. I quickly picked it up and I opened the protector and nothing seemed wrong with the CPU. Should I be worried?

Also, is it fine to clean the heat spreader with a dry microfiber cloth (I don't have rubbing alcohol) before putting it in the socket when I build my PC?

Intel Core i7 8700, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, 16gb DDR4 3000MHz C16, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, WD Black 1 tb NVMe, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, Seasonix TX 1000W 80+ Titanium, Fractal Design Define 7 Compact.

You are fine don't worry. Intel CPUs don't have the fragile pins on the bottom plus, it was in the plastic box so, nothing to worry about.

As for the cleaning, as long as there isn't a lot of dust or something like that you don't need to clean an unused CPU.

A quick wipe down with the cloth before putting the paste on is good enough.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Your CPU is fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

... wasn’t really dropped if it was in something form fitting. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

36 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

... wasn’t really dropped if it was in something form fitting. 

I'm sure you get what I mean.

Intel Core i7 8700, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, 16gb DDR4 3000MHz C16, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, WD Black 1 tb NVMe, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, Seasonix TX 1000W 80+ Titanium, Fractal Design Define 7 Compact.

your fine just try it

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

If there is previous thermal paste on the CPU die check out LTT's video on different solvents you could use.

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

If there is previous thermal paste on the CPU die check out LTT's video on different solvents you could use.

Thank you for the suggestion but my CPU is brand new, and for some reason I decided to touch the heat spreader and got some oil on it so I used my last rubbing alcohol wipe to clean it. I just wanted to make sure if I could use something dry to clean it before putting it into a motherboard.

4 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

You are fine don't worry. Intel CPUs don't have the fragile pins on the bottom plus, it was in the plastic box so, nothing to worry about.

Even AMD chips ain't that fragile.  It's not uncommon for people who have bent the pins to bend them back into place.  Credit/Bank cards work wonders for this lol.

That said, if it were open and dropped pin down, there's a chance a static charge could've done damage, but as it's in the plastic, it'll be fine.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

3 hours ago, domchu said:

I'm sure you get what I mean.

I’m sure it’s been dropped before you bought it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz