Foam for mechanical keyboard

seon123

I'm in the process of getting the parts for a split 60%, to carry around. I want it to be as quiet as possible. I've ordered dampened switches, but I also want to fill the inside of the case with foam, and stick an adhesive foam on the bottom of the keyboard. 

What type of foam should I use?

I can use the foam from the box of a HyperX Cloud. Should I get some other type? For the bottom, I was thinking a sheet of sorbothane for each side?

:)

If sorbothane is too expensive in your area, you can try just any generic shelf liner to fill the bottom.

Also, some users like to line the bottom of the case with painter's tape before applying the sorbothane since it is a bit messy to remove.

49 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

That's way too thick. It should be only a couple mm thick. Unless the case is very cavernous.

@seon123 In the past Ive just cut up an old mouse mat to the right shape, a piece of felt from a hobby store can also work well.  What case are you getting?

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

@seon123 In the past Ive just cut up an old mouse mat to the right shape, a piece of felt from a hobby store can also work well.  What case are you getting?

I was thinking I would 3D-print this case

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2402102?fbclid=IwAR2yyhVDsGRqdjJkGJjtkq3BHW_HHNR78CysxDcIb5j1VkhrpTPd_UATv50

13 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Looks like there's a bit of space in side, especially towards the back. Maybe a thin sheet won't be enough. I've used this also in a case once and it seemed to work well. Laid it down in paralleled touching strips. But it's adhesive on one side and very difficult to remove.

12 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Looks like there's a bit of space in side, especially towards the back. Maybe a thin sheet won't be enough. I've used this also in a case once and it seemed to work well. Laid it down in paralleled touching strips. But it's adhesive on one side and very difficult to remove.

Do you think the foam from the headset box could work well?

Spoiler

hyperxcloudunboxed_1505983551.jpg

Or should I try finding one more like the one you use?

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Do you think the foam from the headset box could work well?

Hide contents

hyperxcloudunboxed_1505983551.jpg

Or should I try finding one more like the one you use?

Is that foam rather stiff? It looks like a stiff foam, which I don't think would dampen sound as well as a softer material. You could try it though.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Is that foam rather stiff? It looks like a stiff foam, which I don't think would dampen sound as well as a softer material. You could try it though.

It's quite soft. Kind of like a cheap kitchen sponge sort of stiffness. I'll try it. I can always just order some other foam later, if needed.