Overclocking Monitors

Geekazoid

Please, these are my screenshots. It's NVIDIA control panel.

Customize>Create custom resolution.

cTIOywh.png

Wasn't even talking to YOU...

Yet THATS not the software he quoted.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/104538-overclocking-monitors/?p=1398190

He quoted a screen of CRU's ADD CUSTOM RESOLUTION Page.

Don't get huffy.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Typo, I meant enable.

Oh. Okay. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

That  doesn't cover how to enable custom resolutions with an ati card.

Yet THATS not the software YOU quoted.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/104538-overclocking-monitors/?p=1398190

You quoted a screen of CRU's ADD CUSTOM RESOLUTION Page.

Don't get huffy.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure I'd know what program I used to go to that window. Here, have a look. :)

jQqCHN6.png

or how about this screenshot, where you can see I pressed the pencil to edit the setting?

Vur642D.png

That  doesn't cover how to enable custom resolutions with an ati card.

It does, you have to click those links - *Typical stuff like - Do not hold me responsible for your loss of any kind...

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

CRU Quick start:

1. Choose a display from the drop-down list.
    • "(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
    • "*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
  2. Edit the configuration as desired.
    • The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
    • At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
    • NVIDIA users must either uncheck "Include extension block" or import a custom extension block for custom resolutions to work.
  3. Repeat steps 1-2 for other displays if required.
    • The "Copy" and "Paste" buttons can be used to copy all the resolutions from one display to another.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  5. Reboot.

To reset a display back to the default configuration, delete the display and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

Notes:

• This program adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.

Timing modes for detailed resolutions:

• "Manual" allows the timing parameters to be set manually. The dialog will always open in this mode.
  • "Automatic - LCD standard" (formerly "Automatic - Best for LCD") uses timing parameters commonly used with LCD monitors and HDTVs.
  • "Automatic - LCD reduced" adjusts the timing parameters for certain resolutions to reduce the pixel clock. This may help when trying higher refresh rates.
  • "Automatic - CRT standard" uses timing parameters compatible with CRT monitors.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Uhm, I'm pretty sure I'd know what program I used to go to that window. Here, have a look. :)

Oop, so sorry your right,.. It looks SO DAMN close its not funny... no really it aint funny, I totally looked like a dick & balls.

Thanks for clarifying without anger.

It does, you have to click those links - *Typical stuff like - Do not hold me responsible for your loss of any kind...

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

CRU Quick start:

1. Choose a display from the drop-down list.
    • "(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
    • "*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
  2. Edit the configuration as desired.
    • The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
    • At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
    • NVIDIA users must either uncheck "Include extension block" or import a custom extension block for custom resolutions to work.
  3. Repeat steps 1-2 for other displays if required.
    • The "Copy" and "Paste" buttons can be used to copy all the resolutions from one display to another.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  5. Reboot.

To reset a display back to the default configuration, delete the display and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

Notes:

• This program adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.

Timing modes for detailed resolutions:

• "Manual" allows the timing parameters to be set manually. The dialog will always open in this mode.
  • "Automatic - LCD standard" (formerly "Automatic - Best for LCD") uses timing parameters commonly used with LCD monitors and HDTVs.
  • "Automatic - LCD reduced" adjusts the timing parameters for certain resolutions to reduce the pixel clock. This may help when trying higher refresh rates.
  • "Automatic - CRT standard" uses timing parameters compatible with CRT monitors.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

FYI - There are many forums like this one, who have already discussed CRU and their results.. Googling should tend results...

I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot and enjoy it very much.

I didn't realise such a simple topic would start a bit of a debate. Ya need to all settle down and focus on the topic and not let it get out of hand otherwise we'll have a mod lock it and I for one don't want that and I don't think any of you do either.

I didn't realise such a simple topic would start a bit of a debate. Ya need to all settle down and focus on the topic and not let it get out of hand otherwise we'll have a mod lock it and I for one don't want that and I don't think any of you do either.

A bit of heated convo doesnt hurt anyone as long as no1 is abusive, which hasn't happened.

Chillpill.

A bit of heated convo doesnt hurt anyone as long as no1 is abusive, which hasn't happened.

Chillpill.

Well I was just trying to prevent it from getting too heated, that's all.

Take a chill pill? Unfortunately I ran out of those and they're too expensive to replace :D.

I have three monitors and the control panel sees it as one screen at 5670x1080 and when I go to customize all that is available are the 640xsomething. Is it still possible to overclock three monitors or should it be done individually?

"Overclocking" the resolution!! That would be awesome!! but also impossible

imagine if a few 1080p monitors could be pushed to 4K lololol

Spoiler

"Overclocking" the resolution!! That would be awesome!! but also impossible

imagine if a few 1080p monitors could be pushed to 4K lololol

Already done. Force your GPU to render 4k game play and have the video signal sent & fit to your monitor. :)

I am using 1440p on a 1080p monitor, the only reason I'm not pushing 4k (even as a test) is I'd have to patch the pixel clock and I don't wanna green screen when using flash or other HW based decoding.
Yes I could disable it, but I won't, I like it. Plus testing 4k when I have a more capable GPU to do so is better than crying that my single GPU cannot do it, so 1440p it is :)

Epic stuff, the people who are not in the know of such things would be in such disbelief! Until shown.

Already done. Force your GPU to render 4k game play and have the video signal sent & fit to your monitor. :)

But your panel still doesn't have enough pixels to display it. At best, your monitor will scale down the 4k signal to fit its resolution, let's say perfectly, which should amount to the same 1080p resolution, no?
Spoiler

But your panel still doesn't have enough pixels to display it. At best, your monitor will scale down the 4k signal to fit its resolution, let's say perfectly, which should amount to the same 1080p resolution, no?

It scales down (downsamples itself to fit on a 1080p space) and provides the better image quality than the 1080p resolution IQ. This scaling gives the Antialiasing effect.

Older games show better scaling where a game that doesnt have Antialiasing at all, on 1080p the jagges edges are easily seen, downsampling a higher res to a 1080p display squash's the bigger image hence looks sharper and less aliased, although text is affected negatively if the games UI doesnt scale.

Think of a phone that has 1280x720, you see a sharpened difference easily having a 1080p video on a 720p display compared to a 720p video on a 720p display.

It scales down (downsamples itself to fit on a 1080p space) and provides the better image quality than the 1080p resolution IQ. This scaling gives the Antialiasing effect.

Older games show better scaling where a game that doesnt have Antialiasing at all, on 1080p the jagges edges are easily seen, downsampling a higher res to a 1080p display squash's the bigger image hence looks sharper and less aliased, although text is affected negatively if the games UI doesnt scale.

Think of a phone that has 1280x720, you see a sharpened difference easily having a 1080p video on a 720p display compared to a 720p video on a 720p display.

Great post!
Spoiler

I have no idea why but the new nvidia drivers (332.21) let me get an extra 10Hz on my Korean monitor. WOOT

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

I have no idea why but the new nvidia drivers (332.21) let me get an extra 10Hz on my Korean monitor. WOOT

Sweeeeeeet! :D

Very good explanation. :D

Very good explanation. :D

Thanks , comments like that wet my nethers...

Thanks , comments like that wet my nethers...

Too much info dude!