Is there a way to boost a fm radio antenna?

lorcav123

I bought this FM radio clock:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mirror-FM-Radio-Alarm-Clock-LED-Digital-Electronic-Table-Projector-Watch-Desk-Nixie-Projection-Alarm-Clock/32963083758.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75954c4d9hfxdz

but the radio singla is too weak, on 80 % of radio stations I hear crackling. Is there a way to boost a fm radio antenna? I think that at least 20% boost would solve crackling problem....

Hi !

Those antennas are very passive components and the built in one has very low sensivity.

They usually come with an external antenna which is a cable you can plug in a dedicated input.

If none is provided, they usually still have the input so that you can plug in the antenna of your choice.

I remember having once used metal cables wired to a fork, worked like a charm.

Other than that, it's a bit like wifi, thick walls will block signals, so mabe try first to bring it closer to a window :)

I hope this helps !

Vincent

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

1 hour ago, Insorior said:

Hi !

Those antennas are very passive components and the built in one has very low sensivity.

They usually come with an external antenna which is a cable you can plug in a dedicated input.

If none is provided, they usually still have the input so that you can plug in the antenna of your choice.

I remember having once used metal cables wired to a fork, worked like a charm. 

Other than that, it's a bit like wifi, thick walls will block signals, so mabe try first to bring it closer to a window :)

I hope this helps !

Vincent

My FM radio doesn`t have that.

So I should try to extend radio antenna cable with some metal wire if I understood correctly? ?

2 hours ago, Insorior said:

definitely yeah. Basically antennas on a roof are passive, they just catch the signal better.

One more thing, stupid question?:

I need to cut those rubber layer skin on antenna and that connect that to metal extender?

antenna.thumb.JPG.514b4d6f9cfbc8aad6c0ef9e0621f0bb.JPG