Windows Update still sucks?

EagleFlyt

I have not been able to find an answer for this, and as it has been talked about a little lately with LMG videos, I have been wondering. Like last year when a Beta update deleted a lot of files from a lot of computers. If the install does this again, then when it rolls back would it fix the deleted or corrupted files it creates? Or are you still out of luck?

it was an error in the update system so no the OS wasn't aware it was removing files as it wasn't supposed to be doing that so it would not have kept track of what it was removing

from what i saw the only way to retrieve files was data recovery

YES I DOWNLOADED IT AND IT MADE MY PC CRASH EVERY 30MINS, DONT DOWNLOAD IT IS TRASH AND WILL RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE. If you already downloaded it go to settings>update and security>recovery, then go back to previous version of windows. Honestly this update is so bad i don't know why you can still download it.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

YES I DOWNLOADED IT AND IT MADE MY PC CRASH EVERY 30MINS, DONT DOWNLOAD IT IS TRASH AND WILL RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE. If you already downloaded it go to settings>update and security>recovery, then go back to previous version of windows. Honestly this update is so bad i don't know why you can still download it.

Umm I am sorry I guess my question was misunderstood, I was asking about the new Windows Update rules being that all Updates are now required. What happens if that update happens again. Because even if it rolls back, you still have a screwed up computer because of the update that forced itself. So what do you do then?

You wont get forced onto a verison such as the october update, you can only get that update by manually scanning for updates, if you dont scan for updates you will be fine.

1 minute ago, EagleFlyt said:

Umm I am sorry I guess my question was misunderstood, I was asking about the new Windows Update rules being that all Updates are now required. What happens if that update happens again. Because even if it rolls back, you still have a screwed up computer because of the update that forced itself. So what do you do then?

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

But thats the thing, I am asking. if an Update DOES do that, then what happens? 

Rolling back an update through Windows's built-in System Restore, the backup/restore feature that is automatically created when doing an update(if you didn't disable it), will not give your files back.
Because that will only restore the OS's files(registry, Windows folder, etc...), not your documents.

This is why you should be doing a proper backup at least once in a while, either through third party softwares like Acronis or you can use Windows's Backup feature.(not perfect and the resulting file size is usually larger than what you'd get with Acronis)

Overall, manually looking for updates is what will give you newer updates faster for "beta testing". If you don't want to take the chance, just never touch windows update. (Insane I know)
You can defer/postpone Security updates and Feature updates by a number of days(Up to 30 days for Security and a year for Feature updates) if you really want to make sure you don't receive faulty update, as they usually get pulled quickly. (Settings > Update & Security > Windows update > Advanced Options)

I would also suggest setting up the Active Hours, so as to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting on you during the time period of you using it.

Personally, I've deferred Security updates by 7 days and Feature updates by 14. Simply because that's plenty of time for an update to be taken down. (and my Active hours are 6am to 10pm... so I've literally never had windows auto update in my face. It only ever update when I shut it down at night)

I haven't had a single issues with Windows update in a long time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, EagleFlyt said:

I have not been able to find an answer for this, and as it has been talked about a little lately with LMG videos, I have been wondering. Like last year when a Beta update deleted a lot of files from a lot of computers. If the install does this again, then when it rolls back would it fix the deleted or corrupted files it creates? Or are you still out of luck?

Linus/Luke didn't really read through the article or their source is shit

• Windows Update always checked for compatibility before updating. This is how some people got updates, and other were waiting for months before getting it.
  • Windows also, always checked if updates where successful or not, and reported this to Microsoft servers, with logs reports and system specs in the case of failures to detect any patterns in user setup and automatically setup update blocks based on that. This is automated, and when update blocks are removed once the teams is able to narrow things down to the actual issue. Please note that Microsoft does it's own internal testing. And this is just an added system to reduce the number of users left stranded, and issue that Microsoft faced in the past update models.
  • The current problem for Microsoft, is those who force updates Windows 10 (had an update block in place, and choose that they can't wait, and force updates) only to complain right away online about issues. Now, Microsoft is making update blocks information public in their release note pages.and updated as blocks are removed. So this helps, but then again, people tend to not check this stuff.

Now, the new system in place automates the removal process of an update that caused the system to fail to startup. This avoid you in doing in system restore and take your system back in time before the update is installed. In addition, once it does that, the affected updates) is/are blocked from installing on your system until a new update comes in, or 30 days has past.

In addition, Windows 10 (all editions) allows users to pause updates by up to 30 days (Home users were limited to 7 days).

I don't know if these changes are applied now, or will be on the next version of Windows 10.

I heard that if I press the check for updates button manually, microshit will give me the beta (less proven) updates because microshit assumes most of it's users are too dumb to press the update button and for those who can, are immediately on par with their developers and therefore deserves worse updates. 

That's why I'm still using group policy to disable update entirely. 

2 hours ago, mach said:

I heard that if I press the check for updates button manually, microshit will give me the beta (less proven) updates because microshit assumes most of it's users are too dumb to press the update button and for those who can, are immediately on par with their developers and therefore deserves worse updates. 

That's why I'm still using group policy to disable update entirely. 

That is correct.

Feature Updates are delivered as followed:

Small group Internally at Microsoft (this includes testing team) > Larger group internally at Microsoft > Everyone at Microsoft > Insider Fast Ring > Insider Slow Ring > Insider Release Preview Ring > Those who request it manually > Released in Small Waves > Release in large waves > Everyone.

Security updates are more direct, and this may differ depending on the emergency of the situation, so bellow might not be followed all the time:

Small group internally at Microsoft (including testing team) > Everyone at Microsoft > Insider Fast Ring > Insider Slow Ring and/or Release Preview Ring > Manual requests > Everyone.

You may have (for example):

Small group internally at Microsoft (including testing team) > Everyone at Microsoft > Manual requests > Everyone

-- Thread moved to Windows section --