Folding@home, anything other than the obvious?

Hi, I was just wondering first of all, how folding works. I know folding is just your computer doing calculations via the software to contribute towards helping find a cure for many diseases. Just wanting to know if there is anything else to it and if you need a particularly powerful or modest PC as mine is not very good at all. I'd like to put it towards something useful other than helping out on LTTF.

Thanks if you help.

Cheers!

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

You need a fairly powerful PC for it to even be worth it. My 3570K @ 4.4 and GTX 460 are great for folding but a more powerful GPU would really help me allot. now I don't know what GPU you have but if its anything better than mine you will be fine for folding. Keep in mind its going to make your PC loud and hot so if you system runs hot or is really dusty don't fold but if its doing fine on something like prime95 then you shoudl be good to fold. i know know exactly how it works but its just running simulations and sending the data back to the collection server for them to review it. I only fold because i like having score also because its technically charity that doesn't cost me any money my electricity is free and I have a fairly beefy computer (except my GPU) so i just leave it on idle and when my PC has been left alone for example at night or while i'm out of the house it folds away.

If you need any help getting started just ask me or other member on the forum its pretty easy once its setup you just set and forget.

You need a fairly powerful PC for it to even be worth it. My 3570K @ 4.4 and GTX 460 are great for folding but a more powerful GPU would really help me allot. now I don't know what GPU you have but if its anything better than mine you will be fine for folding. Keep in mind its going to make your PC loud and hot so if you system runs hot or is really dusty don't fold but if its doing fine on something like prime95 then you shoudl be good to fold. i know know exactly how it works but its just running simulations and sending the data back to the collection server for them to review it. I only fold because i like having score also because its technically charity that doesn't cost me any money my electricity is free and I have a fairly beefy computer (except my GPU) so i just leave it on idle and when my PC has been left alone for example at night or while i'm out of the house it folds away.

If you need any help getting started just ask me or other member on the forum its pretty easy once its setup you just set and forget.

Well that sucks, I have a HP Pavilion dv6. I don't really want to fold with my new PC so I'll have to give it a miss :(.

Processor AMD A6-3410MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Well that sucks, I have a HP Pavilion dv6. I don't really want to fold with my new PC so I'll have to give it a miss :(.

Its really easy to set up and it does not hurt to give it a try but keep in mind you don't get anything in return other then some score that does not mean anything. If you are willing to take the 15 mins it takes to set it up you can help out a bit even if it isnt much. Just make sure you have the GPU folding because CPU folding is slow.

Its really easy to set up and it does not hurt to give it a try but keep in mind you don't get anything in return other then some score that does not mean anything. If you are willing to take the 15 mins it takes to set it up you can help out a bit even if it isnt much. Just make sure you have the GPU folding because CPU folding is slow.

Read above ^^.

Well you don't have to fold even if the system isnt very powerful you can still help out a tiny bit.

How do I help without folding?

Well you don't have to fold even if the system isnt very powerful you can still help out a tiny bit.

I was trying to say even if the system isnt very powerful you can still fold on it it just wont help out allot.

You said that you don't have to fold but you still can help out, I might just forget about mining and folding, requires too much of a beast PC.

You said that you don't have to fold but you still can help out, I might just forget about mining and folding, requires too much of a beast PC.

you can pretty much fold on any pc as long as it is supported, the only difference is that the slower pc will obviously be slower than a faster one.. you can still fold on it just fine, i wouldn't lump folding and mining together, as one is for science and the other one is wasting electricity and resources trying to make money.

you can pretty much fold on any pc as long as it is supported, the only difference is that the slower pc will obviously be slower than a faster one.. you can still fold on it just fine, i wouldn't lump folding and mining together, as one is for science and the other one is wasting electricity and resources trying to make money.

Nah, before I was going to mine with my laptop but now I see how unprofitable it is and I'm most probably going to sell my DV6, I probably won't get much from it as it has quite a few physical defects.

Nah, before I was going to mine with my laptop but now I see how unprofitable it is and I'm most probably going to sell my DV6, I probably won't get much from it as it has quite a few physical defects.

don't mix folding and mining :P, when it comes to mining it doesn't just require alot of horse power but it requires efficiency to be able to make money, as in spend as little money as possible on maintaining and buying it and get the most out of it, obviously it needs some raw power aswell to be able to actually make any money at all, but folding, as opposed to mining which is just doing useless dirty calculations wasting power, foldings goal is to do something that is actually useful and not just wasting electricity, so you can fold on anything you want as long as it's supported and you can be bothered with folding on it, good luck selling that pc of yours, why not fold on your new machine? the parts are made to be used and do caluclations, and that is exactly what folding will do, it only makes perfect logical sense :P.