Windows server 2016 as a desktop operating system.

Pandora

I am planning on a clean reinstall for my main Pc pretty soon but i am pretty fed up with windows 10's seemingly inane update scheme and its awful user tracking.

I want to migrate to windows 2016 but im not sure how well it will support a lot of edge programs i use. i really heavily into VR and i like messing around with drivers and such. i was wondering if anyone had any experience using windows 2016 as a main OS.

programs that i use that are a little odd are emulators such as dolphin, hacked games such as CM3D2 and some tools to grab 3d models. but what i really need it to work with is VR. 

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Not sure if you're talking about pirated windows copy or something, cause Windows server is quite expensive, and besides that most of the extra features it has is all about servers, hosting, virtualization, and such, and it might lack some features from Windows 10 that are more focused on Games, and casual use.

Try Windows 10 LSTB (2016), or as of 2019 its LTSC, long term service channel (Branch for the 2016 version), no UWP, no edge, no cortana, lots of control over updates and privacy, and you only get security updates, and they're not as frequent as a normal Windows version, uses less resources and basically a lot more stable than any other Windows version you heard of! one issue with it, you can only get your hands on it if you buy a volume license, basically if you're company, I was lucky to get one as a relative of mine works in a hosting company, but if you're into piracy it shouldn't be an issue!
Been running it since 2016, quite stable, really fast, really reliable, my relative brought me the LTSC 2019 version a month ago and I can still say the same, best version of windows in my opinion.

Unless the software creator did something stupid like checking if the OS version="Windows 10", there won't be much of a difference between Windows 10 and Server 2016/2019.

I also doubt that there will be any advantages for you to do it to risk that. Why would you consider going with a Server version?

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, Salazar said:

Not sure if you're talking about pirated windows copy or something, cause Windows server is quite expensive, and besides that most of the extra features it has is all about servers, hosting, virtualization, and such, and it might lack some features from Windows 10 that are more focused on Games, and casual use.

Try Windows 10 LSTB (2016), or as of 2019 its LTSC, long term service channel (Branch for the 2016 version), no UWP, no edge, no cortana, lots of control over updates and privacy, and you only get security updates, and they're not as frequent as a normal Windows version, uses less resources and basically a lot more stable than any other Windows version you heard of! one issue with it, you can only get your hands on it if you buy a volume license, basically if you're company, I was lucky to get one as a relative of mine works in a hosting company, but if you're into piracy it shouldn't be an issue!
Been running it since 2016, quite stable, really fast, really reliable, my relative brought me the LTSC 2019 version a month ago and I can still say the same, best version of windows in my opinion.

im a student i can get these keys for free or nearly. i will take a look at the 2016 LSTB

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

On 3/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, Acedia said:

Unless the software creator did something stupid like checking if the OS version="Windows 10", there won't be much of a difference between Windows 10 and Server 2016/2019.

I also doubt that there will be any advantages for you to do it to risk that. Why would you consider going with a Server version?

because i am quite tired of windows having an update every 6 months that requires me to either boot from a backup or nerfs my performance. also i hate the telemetry 

From my own experience before I got a license for the LTSB/LTSC, I used the W10 Pro, upgraded from a W8.1 Pro with an old laptop key, W10 Pro had few extra controls over the home edition (You can still get them with Registry), if you're a geek and love breaking and trying new things then Ill tell you that no matter what version of windows you are using you can get the control or the performance you desire. There is many 3rd party software that will help you on that as well!, some first party tools as well built in, "Powershell and CMD, Group Policy, the Registry, services manager", you can even just enable the admin account and delete the UWP apps or stop the telemetry processes, and if I remember correctly on W10 Pro and Enterprise there is a way you can enable only security updates, I usually remove windows update completely, that I need a bootable iso to get it back!
There is a lot you can tamper with and change whether you're using the LTSB/LTSC, Server, or the normal consumer version, the thing with LTSB/LTSC or Server, is that some of the control switches, just some! are already visible and easily accessible, unlike on the consumer version you gotta break some sweat.
Ill try not to bore you with details, sorry lol, there is a developer which I forgot his name that made a debloated iso or a debloated version of Windows if you wanna call it so! he removed uneeded stuff like UWP, edge, cortana, unistack services and a lot more, you can check his blog if you're interested here " https://litewinos.blogspot.com/ "
He also got a debloated version of the LTSB/LTSC which I am currently running and loving as well, I believe its the LiteOS LTSC 2019. You can check his work if you don't wanna bother yourself with tweaking a lot, or you can go the hard way as well, you'll learn a lot in the process I can assure you that.