New build fresh install with windows 7 disk

CorCat87

I'm planning a new build and going from z-97 to z390 ive heard it might be better  to do a fresh install. Wile I'm at it I figured I would upgrade to A m.2 and use my old boot SSD for extra storage.  I have my old windows 7(pro) disk and key. I have done the free upgrade to 10 long ago when they were first rolling them out I think. My question is, will I need to deactivate anything on my current computer? Also will I still be able to get the free upgrade. Or will I have to buy a 10 disk/install kit and key. Can I install 7 and pay a cheaper price to upgrade?

18 minutes ago, CorCat87 said:

I'm planning a new build and going from z-97 to z390 ive heard it might be better  to do a fresh install. Wile I'm at it I figured I would upgrade to A m.2 and use my old boot SSD for extra storage.  I have my old windows 7(pro) disk and key. I have done the free upgrade to 10 long ago when they were first rolling them out I think. My question is, will I need to deactivate anything on my current computer? Also will I still be able to get the free upgrade. Or will I have to buy a 10 disk/install kit and key. Can I install 7 and pay a cheaper price to upgrade?

On 7 you can go to microsoft's website, download a tool that either installs or upgrades windows. I think it will carry your key.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

18 minutes ago, CorCat87 said:

If you still have an activated windows install on your old boot SSD, you'll have to disable the windows boot manager and disable it as a boot option in the BIOS. You can always download Windows 10 for free...

16 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

If you still have an activated windows install on your old boot SSD, you'll have to disable the windows boot manager and disable it as a boot option in the BIOS. You can always download Windows 10 for free...

Thanks, wile setting up my new rig im not going to have any other drives in just to make it easier.  Then I'll put the rest of them in, then format my SSD 

32 minutes ago, CorCat87 said:

Thanks, wile setting up my new rig im not going to have any other drives in just to make it easier.  Then I'll put the rest of them in, then format my SSD 

Yes that is a great idea. Leave the new M.2 drive in and your SSD out once you're ready to install windows 10 from a CD/Bootable USB Drive.

You can install just Win10 and use Win7 key. Your new hardware won't support Win7 anyway. Or if you have connected Win7 key to your MS account, just login to account to activate install.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv