New build but it only stays on for 20 sec

Wolfang
Go to solution Solved by Wolfang,

I found out why, it was my first time installing ram and I did not know that you had to push it in insanely hard, at least with my ram.  I thought ram was so delicate.  Note to anyone viewing this topic in the future, if you don’t hear a firm click from your ram, push harder, but please don’t push too hard and hurt your ram, good luck and thanks for all of your replies.

Hello, so I just built a new pc, very excited, also thinks to the people who recommended me the parts from my previous post.  So I just installed an ASrock B450 Pro 4 with a Ryzen 5 cpu and 2 sticks of G.Skill Aegis DDR4 ram. I checked that they are all compatible and such.  So I put it together today, I plugged in everything correctly although the cpu plug has 8 pins but I only have a 4 pin plug, I don’t really know if that matters.  I plugged in the top panel and I can click the power button.  I got everything in except for the speaker Mobo.  I can’t seem to find the plug for that one, I searched everywhere, it’s 4 pins but there’s no 4 pins for speakers.  So my problem is that whenever I turn on my computer it turns on for 20 seconds(with or without the gpu, if it’s with the gpu no display shows still), then it shuts off, I tested all the usbs but none of them work during that 20 sec period. Thanks for the help :)

Specs again:

ASRock B450 Pro4

G.Skill Aegis DDR4 Ram

Ryzen 5

Raedon RX 460 

I checked that everything is compatible, at least I think, thanks again

9 minutes ago, Wolfang said:

Hello, so I just built a new pc, very excited, also thinks to the people who recommended me the parts from my previous post.  So I just installed an ASrock B450 Pro 4 with a Ryzen 5 cpu and 2 sticks of G.Skill Aegis DDR4 ram. I checked that they are all compatible and such.  So I put it together today, I plugged in everything correctly although the cpu plug has 8 pins but I only have a 4 pin plug, I don’t really know if that matters.  I plugged in the top panel and I can click the power button.  I got everything in except for the speaker Mobo.  I can’t seem to find the plug for that one, I searched everywhere, it’s 4 pins but there’s no 4 pins for speakers.  So my problem is that whenever I turn on my computer it turns on for 20 seconds(with or without the gpu, if it’s with the gpu no display shows still), then it shuts off, I tested all the usbs but none of them work during that 20 sec period. Thanks for the help :)

Specs again:

ASRock B450 Pro4

G.Skill Aegis DDR4 Ram

Ryzen 5

Raedon RX 460 

I checked that everything is compatible, at least I think, thanks again

Is the psu enough?

otherwise it may be a faulty mobo 

1 minute ago, DotzHyper said:

Is the psu enough?

otherwise it may be a faulty mobo 

Oh yeah I didn’t even see that last part, probably a motherboard issue 

How would you know it’s a faulty Mobo?

Oh yeah I didn’t even see that last part, probably a motherboard issue

Speaker connector is in the front panel connector.

Would be really useful if you had some beep codes to work with.

No signature found

20 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Speaker connector is in the front panel connector.

Would be really useful if you had some beep codes to work with.

Yea I know, it would be nice but like I said above the speaker has 4 pins but the speaker insert on the motherboard only has two, even says it on the manual, if you’d like I can send a pic of that section tomorrow. Thanks though

A speaker only has two pins. Sometimes the MB manufacturer leaves out the middle two pins of a speaker connector to save cost.

The speaker always connects to the outermost two pins in a row of 4 that are designated as PC Speaker pins.

Polarity should be a non-issue because it just beeps.

No signature found

28 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Sometimes the MB manufacturer leaves out the middle two pins of a speaker connector to save cost.

So what do you do if they leave the two mid connectors out, that’s how mine is.

If you look closely you'll see that the pinout on the speaker matches the pinout on the motherboard: 

systempanel.jpg

Top right corner you see an example, the speaker connector is four pins in a row, and in your case the two middle pins are left out.

2012-09-11_085535_mbspk.jpeg

This is how the typical pc speaker connector looks like, 4 pins in a row, middle two are not connected.

No signature found

Number 15 is the picture of the from panel and speaker from the manual, I took a picture and circled it.

I don’t know if I’m blind or if there’s another place to put it lol, btw this is my first time actually building one.  Also all the spots on 15 are filled with power restet and the H one(forgot the name)

15B14809-5FE4-4E61-BD0C-DB88CB8061D8.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Wolfang said:

Number 15 is the picture of the from panel and speaker from the manual

I just read the manual again and I’m so narrow sighted lol, number 16 is for the front panel, (doesn’t include the speaker), now number 15 is for the speaker and see exactly where to install it, thanks again RobbinM. Now all I need to do is turn it on later today and hopefully get some more information on my problem.

17 hours ago, Wolfang said:

How would you know it’s a faulty Mobo?

Happened to me recently. It’s working fine but then it just stops because it can’t overwork itself, Also do reaserch on the way it turns off. Check if it auto turns back on.

I found out why, it was my first time installing ram and I did not know that you had to push it in insanely hard, at least with my ram.  I thought ram was so delicate.  Note to anyone viewing this topic in the future, if you don’t hear a firm click from your ram, push harder, but please don’t push too hard and hurt your ram, good luck and thanks for all of your replies.