Hi all what is the best processor on the market for basically an all round desktop?

I will be doing everything on this desktop from editing 4k video to gaming and running my plex server. I have been looking at the i9-9900k, what is everyones thoughts on this. Also what sort of motherboard and video card would you pair with this to achieve high performance for all this. 

Thanks

The 9900K is the best gaming CPU around right now and compared to the offerings from AMD, it tends to beat them in multithreaded workloads as well. The question you need to ask yourself is this. Is the price Intel are asking one you're willing to pay for 8C/16T. For ~£100 less you could have a 12C/24T Threadripper and for another £80 you you could have a 16C/32T Threadripper. If what you're doing is going to be very multithreaded and you can bear to sacrifice a couple of FPS, then the Threadripper chips might be the better shout for you.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Thanks for this, im looking at keeping the whole build to arround £2,500 GBP. The most I probably would be doing is running plex and editing videos at the same time, would the i9 be ok for this?

The software suite that I use is Adobe CC

14 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Thanks for this, im looking at keeping the whole build to arround £2,500 GBP. The most I probably would be doing is running plex and editing videos at the same time, would the i9 be ok for this?

The software suite that I use is Adobe CC

That would more or less be the best choice without looking into hedt. Or perhaps Zen 2 when that comes out. Though we need to wait to see adobe performance on that.

31 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

It will do fine. For the other component suggestions add a figure you're willing to spend for the whole system.

I would say probably around 2.500 GBP, i already have a Corsair Obsidian 750D Case and an 850W powersupply

26 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Thanks for this, it made my mind up on the processor. Does anyone have any ideas on the best motherboard to pair this with?

The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master would be a solid choice.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:46 PM, lee32uk said:

The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master would be a solid choice.

Thanks for this, what are your thoughts on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero? 

2 hours ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Thanks for this, what are your thoughts on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero? 

Overpriced, especially considering it is a 4 phase VRM and the Master is a 12 phase for the same sort of price. The Asus board would probably be fine, but you are getting less for your money.

The Z390 Ultra for £30 less is also a nice board with pretty much the same VRM as the Master.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/n6gzK8/gigabyte-z390-aorus-ultra-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-ultra

The only slight downside is Gigabyte bios isn't as polished as Asus, but you get better warranty support (UK) if you ever need it and forums like Overclockers UK have a Gigabyte rep who posts on there and can assist people if need be.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:32 AM, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Hi all what is the best processor on the market for basically an all round desktop?

I will be doing everything on this desktop from editing 4k video to gaming and running my plex server. I have been looking at the i9-9900k, what is everyones thoughts on this. Also what sort of motherboard and video card would you pair with this to achieve high performance for all this. 

Thanks

9900k would be the best option. But 2700x does multtasking well so you could consider that too 

18 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

9900k would be the best option. But 2700x does multtasking well so you could consider that too 

Thanks for this

Ok everyone, So far I have bought the following:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow

EVGA 850W Power Supply

I9-9900K Processor

Gigabyte Aorus Master Motherboard

Any suggestions on a decent graphics card for 4k? Will the 1080ti be good enough for high end gaming and high end video editing?

What do you all think for DDR4 memory? Will 32GB be enough

Is there anything else I should add?

On 3/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Ok everyone, So far I have bought the following:

EVGA 850W Power Supply

I9-9900K Processor

Any suggestions on a decent graphics card for 4k? Will the 1080ti be good enough for high end gaming and high end video editing?

What do you all think for DDR4 memory? Will 32GB be enough

Is there anything else I should add?

If you have that big of a budget just get the 2080

On 3/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, PurplDrank said:

If you have that big of a budget just get the 2080

I heard that the 1080ti is still better performance though, would this be right?

4 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

I heard that the 1080ti is still better performance though, would this be right?

If you already own the 1080 ti then no reason to go with the RTX 2080. If buying new then it makes more sense to go with the RTX 2080 due to the price of the 1080 ti being so high as they are end of life now.

8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

If you already own the 1080 ti then no reason to go with the RTX 2080. If buying new then it makes more sense to go with the RTX 2080 due to the price of the 1080 ti being so high as they are end of life now.

Thanks, Is the RTX 2080 slighly better still anyway?

1 minute ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Thanks, Is the RTX 2080 slighly better still anyway?

The RTX 2080 is a bit faster plus you have DLSS which should give better performance once established, and obviously Ray Tracing. Unless you are buying 2nd hand or already own the 1080 ti then go with the RTX 2080.

Just now, lee32uk said:

The RTX 2080 is a bit faster plus you have DLSS which should give better performance once established, and obviously Ray Tracing. Unless you are buying 2nd hand or already own the 1080 ti then go with the RTX 2080.

And the rtx 2080 will perform well with 4k video editing and gaming? I know the 2080ti is a bit out of budget but it does look like a beast. I dont have any processors at the moment. I will be going to this from a GTX960M that is currently in my laptop

10 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

And the rtx 2080 will perform well with 4k video editing and gaming? I know the 2080ti is a bit out of budget but it does look like a beast. I dont have any processors at the moment. I will be going to this from a GTX960M that is currently in my laptop

Yes it is fine for that.

You can get a 2080 ti for around £1000 though, so I guess it depends on how much of the £2500 budget you have left ? I know you mentioned that you already have a few parts in one of your previous posts.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Yes it is fine for that.

You can get a 2080 ti for around £1000 though, so I guess it depends on how much of the £2500 budget you have left ? I know you mentioned that you already have a few parts in one of your previous posts.

image.png.ca3824281b5fffaabcf732edb95f4cb5.png

I think I will have to go for the attached, I cant seem to get the 2080ti for any less that £920 and it is made by zotac and i dont really know that make

3 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

image.png.ca3824281b5fffaabcf732edb95f4cb5.png

I think I will have to go for the attached, I cant seem to get the 2080ti for any less that £920 and it is made by zotac and i dont really know that make

The 2080 ti for £1000 is an EVGA model. Not used the site below myself. Think Alza are also based in the Czech Republic so they are legit. 

https://www.alza.co.uk/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-black-edition-gaming-d5535293.htm?kampan=pcpartpicker_uk_komponenty_graficke-karty_nvidia_ev223d2&utm_source=pcpartpicker_uk&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker_uk_komponenty_graficke-karty_nvidia_ev223d2&IDP=7291

That RTX 2080 will be fine though if you want to save some cash.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Would you recommend a CPU cooler?

The setup I currently have is:

EVGA 850W Power Supply

I9-9900K Processor

EVGA 2080ti

32GB DDR4

1TB SSD

4TB Sata

Any advice on this would be appreciated

23 minutes ago, NeilMcMahon12 said:

Hi all, Would you recommend a CPU cooler?

The setup I currently have is:

EVGA 850W Power Supply

I9-9900K Processor

EVGA 2080ti

32GB DDR4

1TB SSD

4TB Sata

Any advice on this would be appreciated

A BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4/Noctua D15 etc or a good 360mm AIO. The Alphacool Eisbaer LT360 is good value.