My SSD is too small - need a larger replacement

StingRay

When I built my system last summer I thought that a 128GB Samsung 830 would be large enough for me.

At the moment I'm dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 with 100GB for Windows, and the remainder for Linux.

Several months later, I've now found that this drive is in fact too small for my needs (Windows partition in particular), so I'm looking to upgrade to a ~256GB model instead.

I could get a larger Samsung 830 (if they're still available), but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should consider based on perhaps newer models released over the past few months?

Would even getting a second 128GB drive and running them in RAID 0 be a viable option? If not, I can instead repurpose the existing drive by putting it in my laptop.

Also, would it be possible for me to just mirror the drives using Acronis, and then shift and extend the partitions using GParted? Would this work?

Many thanks!

Probably not necessary, but specs for reference:

Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600MHz

MSI GeForce GTX 660ti Power Edition

128GB Samsung 830 SSD

2x2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair TX650 PSU

It would make more sense to get a 256 Samsung 840 then get a 830.

256GB 840 ~ $175

256GB 830 ~ $200

However it would be better to buy 128 830 and run it in raid 0. then you would get better performance and double the size for about $120.

It would make more sense to get a 256 Samsung 840 then get a 830.

256GB 840 ~ $175

256GB 830 ~ $200

However it would be better to buy 128 830 and run it in raid 0. then you would get better performance and double the size for about $120.

The Samsung 830 series, overall, actually performs a bit better than the 840 series. The reason is because the 840 uses TLC flash, which doesn't perform as well as the MLC flash found in the 830. That's part of the reason why the 830 is more expensive than the 840. If he's looking for performance better than what he has been getting, then a Samsung 840 Pro would be a better option; the 840 Pro is the actual successor to the 830 series. The regular 840 is a completely new product line and has no predecessor.

I am happy with the performance of the 830 - it's a just a capacity upgrade that I really need. Sure, an even faster drive such as the 840 Pro would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it in terms of price seeing as I'm already content with the speed of the 830.

Despite this, I wouldn't really want to downgrade though and it seems as though this is what would happen if I were to get a 840.

I know that getting hold of a new 830 might be quite difficult now that this model has been replaced. I could always try and find a second hand one though.

RAID 0 wouldn't work with a mismatch of drive models would it, i.e. if I went down this route, I would need an identical 128GB 830? Setting up RAID with data already present on one of the drives would also be a pain I imagine with the need to mirror the existing drive onto a spare drive first.

So far in this thread only Samsung drives have been mentioned. Are they the clear market leaders these days or are there other options I should also be considering?

I would also consider Crucial's M4, Intel's 335 series, or Mushkin's Chrono Deluxe series of SSDs. Honestly, there are a lot of great options for mid-range SSDs, it ultimately depends on your budget. I would research and compare benchmarks of various popular (or not so popular) SSDs and go from there.

Isn't the Samsung 840 pro to drive to go for atm?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

After my own experience with Ubuntu, I would probably try to keep the SSD you have now for one OS (probably Windows) and get a smaller SSD for Ubuntu. Then decide on startup which drive to boot from. Isn't that a (less expensive) option?

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

After my own experience with Ubuntu, I would probably try to keep the SSD you have now for one OS (probably Windows) and get a smaller SSD for Ubuntu. Then decide on startup which drive to boot from. Isn't that a (less expensive) option?
That's what I was thinking.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

That sounds like quite a good idea. I just hope that the space freed by moving Ubuntu to another drive would not be eaten up by Windows too quickly, otherwise I'd end up with the same problem a little further down the line.

Windows is my primary OS and I'm therefore not as concerned about speed when running Linux. If I were to get a separate smaller SSD for Ubuntu I would be happy to have a lower end model than my current 830. What drives would you suggest I consider?