network help

R4THOUSE

Hello everybody! So recently my home network has been acting strange, It has been disconnecting certain devices at free will. i have gotten new adapters, new modem and restored the router ( linksys N900) multiple times. The odd thing is that the router will only kick the same devices off the network. Which happens to be my PC my PS3 and my IPOD. If you have any tips or troubleshooting please hit me up.

Thanks

Matt Key

@SlickKey

• 2 weeks later...

It really seems like a router issue, even though its booting certain devices off the network. Also, I would try a lighter security protocol like WPA or WEP. If that doesn't work attempt a Firmware upgrade on the router or just replace the router. Hope this helps! 

I would try a lighter security protocol like WPA or WEP.

DON'T! Never use crappy security! NEVER! Use WPA2 only.

Try using DD-WRT on it and see if that helps, otherwise I would recommend buying a new one.

• 5 weeks later...

thanks for all the help guys . The router just recently got fried by a thunderstorm , covered under warranty somehow , so got replaced and now works fine   

Matt Key

@SlickKey

Also, I would try a lighter security protocol like WPA or WEP. 

WEP? Are you serious? You can literally write a bash script to automate the use of the aircrack suite tools to break WEP and get a key. Don't ever advise the use of WEP. Ever.

thanks for all the help guys . The router just recently got fried by a thunderstorm , covered under warranty somehow , so got replaced and now works fine   

Great to hear :)

DON'T! Never use crappy security! NEVER! Use WPA2 only.

Try using DD-WRT on it and see if that helps, otherwise I would recommend buying a new one.

Never use WPA2? What are you talking about? As long as he follows the following guide lines he'll be fine

Long complicated passwords

Non standard ssid

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

yea my neighbors all use WEP hehehe  :ph34r: its fun to change thier passwords :P

Matt Key

@SlickKey

not like i do that :ph34r:

Matt Key

@SlickKey

they know 

Matt Key

@SlickKey

all WiFi is insecure. so ya dropping to WPA  wood not be a big problem it the WIfi side is Deseret form the wired side witch you can do with that that box.

when asking on which you NLE shud use to edit video I will tell you to get avid and an mac. life is easy when it just works.

tell them that their wifi is insecure and can be hacked in couple of seconds.

98% of people just don't care though.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Never use WPA2? What are you talking about? As long as he follows the following guide lines he'll be fine

Long complicated passwords

Non standard ssid

Changing your SSID wont make a network more secure. Password length is more or less irrelevant in WEP. You can still use the Aircrack suite and you'll get a result fairly quick (depending on length).

98% of people just don't care though.

True, also inclusive of people who just aren't in an area of it being likely that it's need ie farm in middle of nowhere.

Why is his network security in discussion of his devices dropping off the network? Seems pretty irrelevant.

I said "DON'T! Never use crappy security! NEVER! Use WPA2 only." Where the ! after NEVER indicates the end of a sentence, the capital U in Use also indicates that.

I said "DON'T! Never use crappy security! NEVER! Use WPA2 only." Where the ! after NEVER indicates the end of a sentence, the capital U in Use also indicates that.

Ok, I guess I got confused because of the phrasing, since the sentence is really fractured.

15" MBP TB

Just make them paranoid, worked here 3 un protected wifi are now protected.

Yea we had like everyone on wep in our neighborhood so me and my bros drove around phishing 

Matt Key

@SlickKey

Yea we had like everyone on wep in our neighborhood so me and my bros drove around phishing 

Love how my isp used a table for their route ssid and wep keys when they were sent out literally sat outside with my old iphone cracking one password after another. Never done anything malicious with it just did it to see which of them actually watched the news.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

yea i did it to see which ones of my friends arent very smart lol

Matt Key

@SlickKey