does SLI work on Linux?

does anyone know if SLI works on Linux and if it does what games support it? 

She/Her

Provided the drivers work, I don't see much reason for SLI not to work.

I'm not aware of many games that are written differently on Linux versus Windows that would remove/keep multi GPU support.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Provided the drivers work, I don't see much reason for SLI not to work.

well I installed my GTX 690 in a linux machine for a bit, which is basically 2 GTX 680's on 1 card. it uses SLI to use both gpu's, and on Linux it saw it as 2 individual cards afaik, with no way to enable SLI. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well I installed my GTX 690 in a linux machine for a bit, which is basically 2 GTX 680's on 1 card. it uses SLI to use both gpu's, and on Linux it saw it as 2 individual cards afaik, with no way to enable SLI. 

Hmm.

Is there driver support for that card on Linux? Can you get the Nvidia Control Panel to open?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is there driver support for that card on Linux? Can you get the Nvidia Control Panel to open?

yup. I don't currently have the card in my PC or Linux installed on it so I can't test it, but I got the control panel to open before, and everything looked normal. aside from the lack of SLI. 

it's not for my system anyway. I want to know for my brother's computer. a 690 would be an awesome card for him if SLI works on Linux. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

yup. I don't currently have the card in my PC or Linux installed on it so I can't test it, but I got the control panel to open before, and everything looked normal. aside from the lack of SLI. 

it's not for my system anyway. I want to know for my brother's computer. a 690 would be an awesome card for him if SLI works on Linux.

When you get the chance, find out if games will utilize both GPUs.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

When you get the chance, find out if games will utilize both GPUs.

yeah I suppose it's easy to figure out... the issue is I don't have a spare SSD at the moment. I gave them to my brother. so I can't install Linux at the moment.... 

She/Her

If games aren't coded for sli, there is no way for you to enable SLI. Few Windows games are sli capable already and if ported to Linux, most game developers will simply slap on a translation layer that convert directx to openGL, which is not that much different than WINE, instead of rewriting their entire game libraries and engines for the native platforms. 

Well known game publishers like feral interactive does excatly this. (Google indirectx) I can very much imagine all the issues that can arise if developers are going to include sli support in their ports. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

If the drivers are compatible with Linux, I don't see why they shouldn't.