Trying to improve Stream Quality

Right now I am a small streamer and my quality is not as good as I think it could be.

I stream mainly Robocraft / Minecraft right now and I also enjoy streaming / playing action games if that helps in deciding what settings to have.

Current specs of the laptop I am using to stream off of:

8th gen i7 8750H @2.2GHz

GTX 1060 - 6gb

16gb of ram

Upload Speed: ~65Mbps

Currently I am using streamlabs obs, here are my settings:

Video:

1080p scaled down to 720p at 60fps - Bicubic

Output:

NVENC

CBR: 6500

Keyframe Interval: 2

Preset: default

Profile: high

Level: 4.1

Unchecked Two-pass Encoding

Any and all help would be appreciated so I can understand how all of this works and what to potentially change in the future.

A ryzen system will do wonders with your streaming with no dropped frames. Also be able to use x264 encode furthermore, don’t scale down if your going to run 720 do so natively.  But 1080 @30+ is very watchable considering nearly every movie is at 24fps

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

twitch only allows upto 6000kbps afaik so drop it down cuz for a 720p60fps stream that's already too much. Use OBS, the latest version of obs further increases how good nvenc encoder is and generally makes the stream look much better

7 minutes ago, unsungheroist said:

A ryzen system will do wonders with your streaming with no dropped frames.

Given that he's just starting out and has a very small viewer base i would not recommend buying anything new.

continue with what you have and once you start to get a bigger following then you can look into improving video quality.

Content/streamer personality is a much bigger draw for viewers than video quality.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, unsungheroist said:

A ryzen system will do wonders with your streaming with no dropped frames. Also be able to use x264 encode furthermore, don’t scale down if your going to run 720 do so natively.  But 1080 @30+ is very watchable considering nearly every movie is at 24fps

...he's on a laptop. In any case, it's not easy to improve from an already good CPU at that point.

Since you're using Twitch, you're basically at the limits of what you can do in terms of encoding practicality: GPU-based 720p60 encoding at 6Mbps. Thankfully YouTube can re-encode what you stream to it, so if you ever do that, you can improve a bit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

What exactly is the issues you feel you have with quality?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What exactly is the issues you feel you have with quality?

I Feel like the edges of the stream feel a bit pixelated when I am moving.

2 hours ago, Tesuki said:

I Feel like the edges of the stream feel a bit pixelated when I am moving.

Post screencap of when that happens.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Post screencap of when that happens.

Here is what it looks like, Beyond 12 or so blocks it seems kind of fuzzy.

Screenshot_1.png

21 hours ago, Tesuki said:

Here is what it looks like, Beyond 12 or so blocks it seems kind of fuzzy.

Screenshot_1.png

Have you tried to change bitrate? Also if you record using same settings, does same results come out? This might be Twitch being your bottleneck, as you aren't partner. So since their limit to non-partners is 6000kbps and they prioritize events and partners, they lower quality on smaller streamers to push better quality for events for example.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Have you tried to change bitrate? Also if you record using same settings, does same results come out? This might be Twitch being your bottleneck, as you aren't partner. So since their limit to non-partners is 6000kbps and they prioritize events and partners, they lower quality on smaller streamers to push better quality for events for example.

Could just be bottle necking me. Would being an affiliate help with that at all because I could sign up for it but I am still not sure about giving my ssid to amazon...

4 hours ago, Tesuki said:

Could just be bottle necking me. Would being an affiliate help with that at all because I could sign up for it but I am still not sure about giving my ssid to amazon...

If you are invited to be one, that should be natural step if you want to become semi-professional or professional streamer. Looking at what you get, it says priority transcoding. While transcoding mean that your viewers get quality option selection, Twitch uses that as visible indication of hardware and brandwidth priority. So yes, that might help. If Twitch is your issue. As I said before, if same happens with local recording, then there's something in settings needing tweaking. I don't think its bitrate, though.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you are invited to be one, that should be natural step if you want to become semi-professional or professional streamer. Looking at what you get, it says priority transcoding. While transcoding mean that your viewers get quality option selection, Twitch uses that as visible indication of hardware and brandwidth priority. So yes, that might help. If Twitch is your issue. As I said before, if same happens with local recording, then there's something in settings needing tweaking. I don't think its bitrate, though.

Alright, after messing around with a few settings I think I got it set. Thanks for the help!