Dual/Multi monitor does not work.

lleksird
Go to solution Solved by lleksird,

I just received my ordered DVI-D cable minutes ago and its working now. I guess its either the adapter or the VGA cable that causes it, I still don't know but I'm happy to be using both my monitors now. I'm going full digital (no more using vga cables). Thanks everyone for suggesting ideas, helping when I was in search for solutions.

Hi everyone! I have 2 identical monitors with VGA, DVI-D ports and wanting to run it as dual, extended monitor. I have a 1050ti video card bought around November 2018 both using adapter/s (HDMI to VGA, DVI-D to VGA). Dual/Multi monitor should work somehow since it was working on my last video card GT730 although from the last card 1 was a direct VGA to VGA and HDMI to VGA.

The problem is whenever I try to use/plug both monitors as dual they go on and off blinking at the same time plus giving off a driver sound like whenever you plug and unplug a flash drive. I once brought my unit in a shop, left my vga cables at home. They used my unit and 2 adapters (HDMI to VGA, DVI-D to VGA) on THEIR monitors and VGA cables and it worked. Could it be that its a simple faulty cable or something else? MONITOR-1, MONITOR-2 works fine individually. Also tried borrowing another monitor with my old same vga cables same problem happens (MONITOR-1 x BORROWED, MONITOR-2 x BORROWED).

I tried the ff:
~Switching cables
~Borrowing a monitor
~setting it up by Windows key + P (choosing duplicate/extended)
~setting it up by Nvidia control panel

Specs:
Mobo: Asus H81M-E
CPU : i5-4460
RAM : 8gb ram
GPU : GTX 1050 Ti
SSD : 120gb
HDD : 1TB
PSU : ATX-800w (generic)
Monitor/s : Philips PHL 200V4Q (19.7 inches (50 cm) / 1920 x 1080 pixels @ 56-76 Hz)

Edited by lleksird

Just to make sure, you are plugging both into the graphics card and not the motherboard slots correct?

PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

Build Log found here:

1 minute ago, Justinzonfire said:

Just to make sure, you are plugging both into the graphics card and not the motherboard slots correct?

Yes attempting to plug/use both on the video card and whenever I do, the problem happens.

34 minutes ago, Tera Byte said:

Is your graphics driver up to date?

when I tried it, it was up to date but right now I am 2 versions down with the latest one. I can't recall what it was bad I was experiencing something bad with the latest update so I downgraded my driver version.

36 minutes ago, Tera Byte said:

And did you attempt to configure it in Nvidia control panel?

I did try configuring it with nvidia control panel aside from the "right click desktop > screen resolution" or "windows key + p" but same results.

4 minutes ago, lleksird said:

when I tried it, it was up to date but right now I am 2 versions down with the latest one. I can't recall what it was bad I was experiencing something bad with the latest update so I downgraded my driver version.

I did try configuring it with nvidia control panel aside from the "right click desktop > screen resolution" or "windows key + p" but same results.

Go into Nvidia control panel and go to the tab that is called "Set up multiple displays" its under the displays tab. From there make sure that both of your monitors are enabled normally when you have 2 or more displays hooked up you need to enable them for the to be usable.

1 hour ago, Tera Byte said:

Go into Nvidia control panel and go to the tab that is called "Set up multiple displays" its under the displays tab. From there make sure that both of your monitors are enabled normally when you have 2 or more displays hooked up you need to enable them for the to be usable.

I did that too the last time I tried. that's the one with 2 monitors showing indicating monitors 1 and 2 are detected right? and you need to click the checkbox to configure/enable the dual/multi monitor setup.

I'm heading out later to buy a dvi-d cable. I was just wondering if cables could cause it and maybe if I had a direct cable like from the old video card. a direct cable VGA to VGA worked, hopefully this DVi-D to DVI-D will do too.

14 minutes ago, lleksird said:

that's the one with 2 monitors showing indicating monitors 1 and 2 are detected right?

Yes.

And yes it could be the cable/ adapter, you might want to try unplugging and replugging the adapter/ cable in and or switching them. It might be that a wire broke inside of the adapter/ cable to.

Update: due to dumb luck stores nearby has no DVI-D cables. So yea, still experiencing the problem.

18 hours ago, Tera Byte said:

Yes.

And yes it could be the cable/ adapter, you might want to try unplugging and replugging the adapter/ cable in and or switching them. It might be that a wire broke inside of the adapter/ cable to.

If it was the cable? How come I could use the monitors individually but not together? Is that possible?

21 hours ago, lleksird said:

Update: due to dumb luck stores nearby has no DVI-D cables. So yea, still experiencing the problem.

If it was the cable? How come I could use the monitors individually but not together? Is that possible?

Oh sorry i must have missed that part in the original post I guess.

9 hours ago, Tera Byte said:

Oh sorry i must have missed that part in the original post I guess.

I see. I edited my original post and made it much easier to understand "monitor-1 and monitor-2 works fine individually." hehe 

22 hours ago, lleksird said:

I see. I edited my original post and made it much easier to understand "monitor-1 and monitor-2 works fine individually." hehe 

Here maybe this will help.

EDIT: This is my dual monitor setup try to mirror this but without turning monitor 2 vertically unless of course that's what you want. Also did you want to have the displays act as one single display or have them be their own independent displays?

NvidiaControlPanelCapture.PNG

5 hours ago, Tera Byte said:

Here maybe this will help.

EDIT: This is my dual monitor setup try to mirror this but without turning monitor 2 vertically unless of course that's what you want. Also did you want to have the displays act as one single display or have them be their own independent displays?

NvidiaControlPanelCapture.PNG

I actually do that but you see. the other monitor is disabled right? then I enable it by checking the box when I do that that's when the problem starts, both monitors blinking and giving off the sound like the flashdrive being plugged and unplugged..same goes when I try the "windows key + P then choose extend or duplicate" I'm so frustrated right now. cuz I am so used to having 2 monitors multitasking

On 3/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, lleksird said:

I actually do that but you see. the other monitor is disabled right? then I enable it by checking the box when I do that that's when the problem starts, both monitors blinking and giving off the sound like the flashdrive being plugged and unplugged..same goes when I try the "windows key + P then choose extend or duplicate" I'm so frustrated right now. cuz I am so used to having 2 monitors multitasking

I see that's very odd, sorry that I didn't quite understand. Ya i'm the same way I could never go back to just one monitor.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, lleksird said:

You might want to try to right click on the Nvidia control panel and select exit, it should open back up in the icon bar and try to set up your monitors after it pops back up in the icon bar.

4 hours ago, Tera Byte said:

You might want to try to right click on the Nvidia control panel and select exit, it should open back up in the icon bar and try to set up your monitors after it pops back up in the icon bar.

weird right? hehe. its suppose to be easy or at least fixed right away. Now I'm thinking it might be the monitor or gpu..i might have to borrow 2 extra cables and monitors that would narrow down the problem. I hope someone who experienced the same or has an idea how to fix it would see this. hehe

Anyway, if ever I find out what causes it I'll let you guys know. Thanks for sparing time to help.

12 hours ago, lleksird said:

weird right? hehe. its suppose to be easy or at least fixed right away. Now I'm thinking it might be the monitor or gpu..i might have to borrow 2 extra cables and monitors that would narrow down the problem. I hope someone who experienced the same or has an idea how to fix it would see this. hehe

Anyway, if ever I find out what causes it I'll let you guys know. Thanks for sparing time to help.

Ya it could be the video card but, it might also be the driver you said that you are behind a little bit on the drivers. Maybe if you update it it will get rid of the badly installed one and rewrite it. Just try a lot of different things.

I just received my ordered DVI-D cable minutes ago and its working now. I guess its either the adapter or the VGA cable that causes it, I still don't know but I'm happy to be using both my monitors now. I'm going full digital (no more using vga cables). Thanks everyone for suggesting ideas, helping when I was in search for solutions.