Microsoft Surface alternatives

Hello everyone, 

I'm on the hunt for a Windows Laptop/Tablet that I can use with a pen to take notes aswell as light CAD and Matlab workloads. Two of my friends use Surface Tablets (will update modell tomorrow) and they are pretty happy with it but I can't/don't want to pay >800€ to take notes. Do you have some alternative options arround 500€ or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

Any help would be appreciated.

there are a few cheaper lenovo yogas, like the yoga 300 (there are non touch models though) that can be folded into a laptop/tablet and you can get some styluses for them, but im not sure if it would have the same experience as a surface

im not sure if you can find it where you are but in aus there is a tablet called the kogan atlas that is like a budget version of a surface

5 minutes ago, elementL said:

or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

find some refurbished stuff on ebay

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

3 minutes ago, elementL said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm on the hunt for a Windows Laptop/Tablet that I can use with a pen to take notes aswell as light CAD and Matlab workloads. Two of my friends use Surface Tablets (will update modell tomorrow) and they are pretty happy with it but I can't/don't want to pay >800€ to take notes. Do you have some alternative options arround 500€ or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

Any help would be appreciated.

The Surface Go might be a good option for you. It's significantly cheaper and you're able to load your own OS on there. It comes with Windows 10 S but can be upgraded to normal Windows 10. It would still be pretty decent at light CAD work.

7 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

there are a few cheaper lenovo yogas, like the yoga 300 (there are non touch models though) that can be folded into a laptop/tablet and you can get some styluses for them, but im not sure if it would have the same experience as a surface

I just looked into some of them and they seem promissing. What do you mean with no touch model but pen support? So i can only use "touch with the pen"?

@Netivity:

6 minutes ago, Netivity said:

The Surface Go might be a good option for you. It's significantly cheaper and you're able to load your own OS on there. It comes with Windows 10 S but can be upgraded to normal Windows 10. It would still be pretty decent at light CAD work.

Yea but it is still quite expensive. As far as i know the 64gb version is garbage because of the super slow storage and type cover + pen are ~100€ each. Thats a total of 700€ again :(

8 minutes ago, elementL said:

I just looked into some of them and they seem promissing. What do you mean with no touch model but pen support? So i can only use "touch with the pen"?

@Netivity:

Yea but it is still quite expensive. As far as i know the 64gb version is garbage because of the super slow storage and type cover + pen are ~100€ each. Thats a total of 700€ again :(

That's fair enough. I believe that if you are a student you get a certain percentage off though.

5 hours ago, elementL said:

arround 500€

even a decent regular laptop is hard to find with this budget

Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128