Dust cleaning with Paint prush

irfanahmed1979

Linus did a video on dust cleaning the "rough manly way', I think. In it he used a paint brush to clean his motherboard's PCB. Are all types paint brushes alright for such tasks?

Are there any precautions to be taken when using them?

Is there a special way to store them so that they don't acquire static electricity?

I'd say use a toothbrush for PCB cleaning. I use it to get tough dust stuck on the PCB of my GPU whenever I get the chance to clean out my computer. Make sure it's a new one though cause you don't want any moisture getting on your components.

Intel 2600k @ 4.5 GHz | CoolerMaster 212 Evo | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | XFX 7950 Black Ed. Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GB)NZXT Phantom 820 | Rosewill 1000w Bronze

ASUS VN248H-P IPS | LG E2742 | Logitech Z623 | Logitech G600 |Steelseries QcK Heavy | Corsair K90 MX Red | Ducky Shine Year of the Goat MX RedErgotech Freedom Arm

Linus did a video on dust cleaning the "rough manly way', I think. In it he used a paint brush to clean his motherboard's PCB. Are all types paint brushes alright for such tasks?

Are there any precautions to be taken when using them?

Is there a special way to store them so that they don't acquire static electricity?

Use a paintbrush that's made out of real hair and not plastic, if you want to be really sure to avoid static electricity.

That's what I would suggest as @ said :)

These threads might be helpful (where I got my quotes from)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/87693-pcb-cleaning-question/

and

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/19013-cleaning-a-graphics-card-pcb/

I'd say use a toothbrush for PCB cleaning. I use it to get tough dust stuck on the PCB of my GPU whenever I get the chance to clean out my computer. Make sure it's a new one though cause you don't want any moisture getting on your components.

Also this :)

Toothbrushes are a lot coarser, be careful.

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Real hair is the way to go :)

Also a little handy tip, but if you find yourself going through a ton of canned air then maybe look at investing in an air compressor, I have a big one in my shed for painting with, but also brought a tiny compressor for about $50 just to blow dust off of computers with and in the long run will save you a ton :)

thanks everyone for the replies.

I have no experience with paint brushes made out of real hair so how do I tell the difference?

thanks everyone for the replies.

I have no experience with paint brushes made out of real hair so how do I tell the difference?

the label probably of it has real hair it would be advertised as such because real hair is a premium also you could use an extra Badger brush if you have one(for shaving) that is if you shave like a man with shave soap a brush and a straight razer and not canned foam and a cheap cartridge like a boy. Haha

Also to get it really tight spots those little cleaning brushes that coke with hair clippers and beard trimmers are nice too