PSU cables from RM750 to SF450

farmtool33

Hello,

I am upgrading my very old Dell Poweredge server to a much more energy efficiënt one.

So, I bought a Corsair SF450 Platinum. But the cables that came with it, are way to short for the case I want to use it in. The ATX and CPU power are just long enough, but the HDD and molex's aren't.

I do have an older Corsair RM750, and I saw that those cables where pretty much the same. Altough on the side of the Sata power and molex cables they say that it is another type.

Corsair RM750 = Type 3 SATA and molex cables

Corsair SF450 = Type 4 SATA and molex cables

I have searched quite a lot on google, and found that sometimes power cables are interchangeable. Now, I did not found an conclusive answer to my question.

I did found this table, but to be honest, I can't understand it fully... https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Is it safe for me, to swap the Type 3 SATA and molex cables from my RM750 to my SF450 and use my Type 4 cables on my RM750 (which are also just long enough for the devices I want to power)

Thank you!

EDIT: Following this, Molex and sata should be the same ? https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/8/

Unless you can find a wiring diagram for both and confirm if all the wires at the PSU match, no, it won't be possible. You might want to look into something like Cable Mod for extensions.

That's what I also found on other forum's, mixed reactions. ?

2 minutes ago, farmtool33 said:

That's what I also found on other forum's, mixed reactions. ?

If you really want to be safe, just get Cable Mod extensions for what you need.

Get a multimeter, a pen and paper, get a pinout on both cables and see if it works. 

Or you can use a old 100gb hard drive as a tester, if it works it is fine, if it burns you just burned a hdd)

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

7 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Get a multimeter, a pen and paper, get a pinout on both cables and see if it works. 

I is indeed a good option, I think I am going to try that.

6 hours ago, farmtool33 said:

Is it safe for me, to swap the Type 3 SATA and molex cables from my RM750 to my SF450 and use my Type 4 cables on my RM750 (which are also just long enough for the devices I want to power)

Don't bother with extensions. 

@seon123 gave you the correct answer in the very first response.

Type 3 and type 4 are the same except for the 24-pin.  You can use almost all of your RM cables. 

As for buying cables: If you have the money for extensions, you have the money for the proper cables.  Both Corsair and Cablemod have proper type 4 cables for sale if you need them.  Extensions add another potential point of failure and the added length and connectors create resistance that can drop voltage. 

I might add... You could theoretically use the 24-pin from the RM as well.  The difference is the SF has three extra pins for "sense" that the old RM didn't have.  But these are not required for the PSU to function.

You would simply plug 14 of the 18 pins into the PSU like so......

20190225_094545.jpg

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You would simply plug 14 of the 18 pins into the PSU like so......

The clip, though... 

Spoiler

20190225_094545.thumb.jpg.a9ff4bc84a29e2021b94ebb2f4912760__01.jpg.0ef5b4addc862fcaf0497e0ff7363855.jpg

:)

39 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The clip, though... 

Reveal hidden contents

There.  I cut it off. 

20190225_110234.jpg

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

There.  I cut it off. 

Would this void your warranty with Corsair?

Edit: Though, I guess you could just send it back with the original cable and no-one would ever know.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Would this void your warranty with Corsair?

Edit: Though, I guess you could just send it back with the original cable and no-one would ever know.

Unless they have reason to believe using the wrong cables is why the PSU failed, they don't ask for the cables back when you do an RMA.